Senior or Principal Level Designer - On Site
27 days ago
The Molasses Flood is looking for a Senior or Principal Level Designer to help us create gameplay rich and environmentally story dense spaces for our next title. You will drive the creation of spaces set in the Slavic open world of The Witcher that support telling the story of this world while supporting a rich palette of gameplay systems.
As a senior or principal designer, you will be responsible for layout, greybox, scripting, markup, and encounter design. You will also work collaboratively with the gameplay design, engineering, art, and narrative teams to make sure that the spaces you create are beautiful, performant, fun and tell the story of the game. You will work with tech designers and tools engineers to ensure you have all the tools they need to work happily and efficiently.
Our ideal candidate has a background in production level design, a solid understanding of level design principles, a strong technical background, experience building for multiplayer, familiarity with scripting systems and a high level of comfort driving the level design process from concept through ship.
This role reports to the Design Director. It is a full-time salaried position with a hybrid WFH / in office model at our location in the greater Boston area. Relocation assistance is available within the US.
- Own the creation of gameplay environments across the game from initial concept through release
- Develop and implement best practices for creating performant and robust levels and scripted events
- Engage in cross department communication and collaboration as it pertains to levels: work closely with engineers, artists, sound designers, and production in managing the prioritization, implementation, and scope of the game’s environments.
- Lead by example, taking on direct responsibility for creating functional level layouts, and learning and mastering our tools.
- 3+ years experience as a level designer on a AAA or action title
- Experience with scripting systems, either visual (such as Blueprint) or text-based (such as Python, Lua, or C#)
- The ability to communicate fluently with engineering, art, narrative and production
- Candidates must have a US work permit or citizenship
- Curiosity, kindness, and a positive and professional can-do attitude
Nice to Haves
- Experience with open world games or large scale environments
- Unreal Engine 5 experience
The expected annual salary range for this position is $100,000 - $150,000 USD, negotiable depending on seniority level. Salary offered will be based upon a number of factors, including but not limited to: skill set, years and quality of experience, and suitability for the role.
What we offer:
- 100% company paid medical, dental, and vision plans available - for employees and dependents
- 401K with matching
- Company paid long & short term disability plans, and life insurance
- Profit sharing plan
- Unlimited PTO and flexible schedule
- Environmental company paid offset of employees’ carbon footprint via Wren.co
- Positions worked in office are hybrid: M/W/F work from home & T/Th work in office, with lunch provided on the in office days
- Dog friendly office
- Many opportunities for advancement as our team grows and takes on new challenges
The Molasses Flood is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embracing and celebrating diverse thoughts and backgrounds throughout our organization. Employment at The Molasses Flood is based on ability – not an individual’s race, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, status as a victim of domestic violence or sex offenses, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
CA Candidates: TMF abides by all policies set forth in the CCPA/CPRA. For more information, please contact HR or visit the California Privacy Protection Agency website: https://cppa.ca.gov/
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
The Molasses Flood is a CD PROJEKT game development studio located in the greater Boston area. We were founded by industry veterans in 2014, and since then have created The Flame in the Flood and Drake Hollow. We’re currently working on an ambitious and exciting new project set in The Witcher universe. We value every voice on the team, open communication and transparency, and run a studio based on mutual respect and kindness between all members and levels of the team. If this sounds like the type of team you’d like to be a part of, we encourage you to apply.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.