The Senior, Waveguide Materials Scientist will work in the Advanced Photonics group. This individual will innovate and lead technology R&D of waveguide materials and technologies, including driving co-development with suppliers, internal characterization and metrology development, for inorganic and organic optical waveguides. This position requires working in a clean-room environment.
- Innovate and lead technology R&D for formulation, forming/finishing, integration, and characterization of materials for optical waveguides
- Define and develop metrologies to push the fundamental understanding of waveguide materials and device properties
- Define and prototype new processes and architectures, and deliver proof of concept devices
- Combine fundamental understanding of materials science and processing with business acumen to achieve manufacturable solutions to enable product commercialization
- This position requires working in a clean-room laboratory environment.
- Develop and drive roadmaps with material suppliers
- This position may require travel (10-20%)
- Advanced degree in materials science or engineering, chemistry, polymer science, applied physics or a closely related field of concentration
- Hands-on, 4+ years of experience in materials characterization (e.g. FTIR, TMA/DMA, TGA, SEM, AFM, ellipsometry, interferometry, rheometry) and formulation (glasses, polymer)
- Hands-on 2+ experience in material processing / forming (polishing, molding, replication, bonding, etching)
- Ability to work well under pressure and aggressive deadlines.
- Proven track record of research, including publications or patents.
- Experience of delving into scientific literature to reinforce hypotheses, and developing plans with scientific knowledge.
- Proven ability to effectively work as a member of a team.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills are essential.
- Must be able to establish strong working relationships across the organization.
- Must be data driven and capable of developing and executing engineering test plans and capturing a robust set of data.
- Must be articulate and capable of producing reports and presentations that concisely address the matters assigned
- Working knowledge of Comsol, Zemax, Matlab, Python, Creo, JMP a plus
- Ph.D. in materials science or engineering, chemistry, polymer science, applied physics or a closely related field of concentration.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines .