Senior UI Artist
23 days ago
Sumo Nottingham develops characterful, accessible and innovative action/adventure and racing games for console and PC. We are part of Sumo Digital Ltd., an independent UK developer working with some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony and Sega.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Nottingham is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
Sumo is looking for an experienced, creative, and talented Senior UI artist to create world class interfaces for their Nottingham Studio projects.
Within this role you will:
- Design, create and implement game User Interfaces using proprietary and middleware UI tools
- Organise and maintain game-ready assets for use in user interfaces, such as textures, icons, and fonts
- Work with Design and Art Direction, on the creation and revision of UI concepts and prototype flows, to establish the UI direction
- Work closely with Design direction on the UX to ensure clear communication of essential information to the player
- Work with UI programmers to implement assets and ensure correct functionality and visual fidelity
- Work with Marketing and Studio directors to produce materials promoting Nottingham titles
We need you to have:
- Expert graphic design skills in Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong pre-visualisation and implementation skills, creating user interfaces from wireframe to concept to prototype to final
- Excellent use of typography, composition, colour theory and motion graphics
- Good understanding of UX design for console and PC
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with Art, Design and Code
- Experience of interface creation in Unreal 4 using UMG
- Must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in games and at least 1 AAA title.
We'd also ideally like you to have (although it's not a deal breaker):
- A good understanding of 3d modelling
- Understanding of animation timing
- Experience on a multiplayer game title
Where you’ll be working
Our studio is in Nottingham’s Castle Marina, near Nottingham’s picturesque canal route and just fifteen minutes’ walk from the City Centre. The studio is served by excellent bus, tram and cycle links and the railway station is a ten-minute walk away.
Nottingham has lots to see and do, including a huge choice of bars and restaurants, art galleries and numerous cultural events. There are several large parks in and around the city (including Wollaton Park, containing Batman’s house
!), and it sits on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District area. It has excellent road and rail links to the North and South of the country, with London less than two hours away by train.
What we’ll do for you
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. We support your personal development through access to training resources and time to work on them. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, vouchers on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves, and offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, with emphasis on well being and work/life balance.
Want to know more about Sumo?
Sumo Digital, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and 2019 TIGA Award for Best Independent Studio, continues to be one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying year on year stability and growth since its founding in 2003. We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, Warrington, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.