Senior Technical Shader Artist
8 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
***This position has the flexibility to be fully remote***
Senior Shader Artist
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone , Uncharted: Golden Abyss , and Syphon Filter , is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA console title.
We are seeking a Senior Shader Artist who will contribute to the artistic vision and development of a AAA product with a specialized focus on creating photo real physically based shaders utilizing a combination of traditional fine art and technical art skills.
- Conceptualize and create a plan for building texture sets based on written design descriptions and concept art. Responsible for combining disparate visual elements into a visually unified whole, across terrain, vistas, prop, architecture, and character shading.
- Contribute to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product’s visual style and encourage artistic evolution within the studio. This entails expanding methods to improve the production pipelines, tools, processes, and visual fidelity.
- Independently undertakes research and information gathering prior to the commencement of a new task to ensure game design needs, reference materials, artistic direction, and technological considerations are effectively managed to meet the defined goals.
- Actively advances skill set, abilities and then shares this knowledge by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the production group to manage responsibilities to ensure set goals will be met from a scope, schedule, and artistic perspective.
- Push the envelope of what is possible within real time technical limitations.
- Participation in creating shaders and shading validation tools as well as defining artistic and technical shading standards.
- Research and develop innovative approaches to technical and creative challenges.
- Expert knowledge of physically based shading pipelines.
- Preferred Experience with Unreal 4 or Unity and their respective shading pipelines.
- Expert knowledge of UV tools and techniques.
- Proficiency in creation of high-quality textures that match the artistic style of the defined art direction.
- Proficiency in the use of 3D modeling software to texture models within the defined specs and guidelines.
- Strong reading and comprehension skills to have a complete understanding of complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments. The ability to communicate complex processes effectively either individually with team members, or within group settings. The ability to write short reports and process documents when needed in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis. Works independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision. Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of complex assets for game levels, and other game related assets. Able to complete tasks and assignments quickly with limited need for revision rework.
- Strong data management skills, with the ability to manage and track large amounts of data as they go through the art pipeline with attention to naming conventions, directory structures, and other processes.
- Able to train, tutor, and mentor multiple artists, help assess their needs for growth and learning, able to document, report, and help review their work when needed.
- Extensive portfolio with examples of current hands-on work, including shaders, textures, and texture mapped assets as well as fully rendered scenes.
- 2+ years of experience as a Shader/Materials Artist in the video game industry
- One or two years of post-high school education or training
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.