Senior Technical Game Designer - Unreal Engine 4
7 months ago
Survios , the foremost virtual reality game developer and pioneer of the future of immersive technologies, has an opening for a talented Technical Game Designer to join our amazing design team!
This position will be responsible for providing technical support for all aspects of design as needed, which includes scripting engaging scenarios and systems for first-person VR games. As a Technical Designer for Survios, you will work with engineers to design, implement, and maintain systems and tools with the aim of creating fun gameplay AND making the work of your fellow developers easier and more efficient.
Applicants should be enthusiastic about the opportunity to collaborate with developers across disciplines, and to seek out opportunities to dive in, solve problems, and make improvements wherever necessary. The ideal candidate has experience working with a cross disciplinary team on a large codebase. Candidates are expected to be self-starting and proactive in identifying risks and determining solutions. They should also have a passion for adding the extra polish that sets our games apart.
- Collaborate with Design, Engineering, Art, Animation, QA, and Audio team members to create functional, fun, and visually compelling worlds that achieve unprecedented and immersive VR gaming experiences.
- Work closely with members of design and engineering to support the needs of gameplay, for both your fellow designers and other disciplines.
- Contribute to prototyping new gameplay systems, features, or gameplay loops.
- Take ownership and responsibility for gameplay actor creation, level scripting, checkpoint and/or multiplayer support, AI scripting and tuning, creating debugging and testing tools, and contributing to overall game balance.
- Integrate polished and satisfying feedback into gameplay systems through art, VFX, and audio hookups, supporting other departments in integrating their content into scripted gameplay systems.
- Build, maintain, and establish standards for large-scale data integration, including voice-over and game balancing data.
- Contribute innovative and original ideas on all aspects of game production and development, providing constructive insight and feedback when needed.
- 2-3 years of professional experience as a Technical Designer or a related role.
- Professional Unreal Engine 4 experience. Very comfortable working in game editors and understanding engine/game constraints and opportunities.
- Good methodology and problem solving ability, with a focus on rapid iteration to achieve balance, pacing, and fun.
- Deep understanding of game design for first-person combat and exploration, including design for competitive and cooperative multiplayer games.
- Effective communicator and collaborator with engineers and developers from other disciplines, along with willingness to lead focused multidisciplinary efforts.
- A natural curiosity for all aspects of game development and a willingness to work on a wide variety of game systems.
- A strong passion for video game development.
- Strong, updated, and current portfolio with samples of your work
- A high standard of quality, not only for your own work but for reviewing others.
- Some or all of the following Unreal Engine 4 experience:
- Very thorough knowledge of Blueprints.
- Working in native C++ code, or at least debugging using Visual Studio.
- Extensive use and knowledge of UE4 tools, such as Animation Blueprints, Behavior Tree, Sequencer, UMG, Gameplay Ability System, or level streaming.
- Networked UE4 games and working knowledge of UE4’s replication system.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Math or a related field.
- Experience working with Virtual Reality platforms including Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Sony PlayStation VR. Oculus Quest is a plus.
- Knowledge of Agile Methodology, JIRA, Perforce, DEdit, Radiant, etc.
Survios is at the forefront of VR game development and is pioneering the future of immersive technologies. Since inception, we have taken a holistic approach to virtual reality innovation, developing hardware, software, and games hand-in-hand to take VR to places that no one has dreamed possible. Survios offers a pet-friendly work environment with unlimited vacation time and a host of other perks and benefits to give our team everything we need to create unrivaled Active Virtual Reality experiences.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.