Senior Technical Game Designer (Singleplayer Incubation Team)
9 days ago
We are looking for an experienced Senior Technical Game Designer to help build a brand new Respawn singleplayer adventure.
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they’ll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. This guiding principle is reflected in Respawn’s day-to-day development ethos of trust, autonomy and freedom to experiment in “finding the fun” to make extraordinary and unforgettable experiences for our players. You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio .
This new singleplayer title is a designer’s dream playground with a freedom to innovate made possible by the unique universe it inhabits. Our critically acclaimed, multi-platform games have always established a “fun comes first” sensibility in a design process that allows creativity and new ideas to shine.
What You’ll Do…
- Have a direct hand in shaping a new game from the ground up. The project is in its early stages and you will take ownership of substantial ideas and features from blue-sky conceptualization to shipped game.
- Use your creative, scripting and technical skills extensively to bring weapons, progression, abilities, mechanics, toys and global systems to life.
- Collaborate with other designers and departments to share ideas, iterate for greatness, scope wisely, and deliver polished gameplay that will defy expectations.
- Place an emphasis on playable prototypes rather than extensive design documentation.
- At Respawn we cater to individual strengths and we are always looking for raw talent, regardless of specialization or breadth of expertise. Technical Designers with broader interests in overall mission design, enemy and friendly design, combat, cinematics/narrative and other parts of the game are still strongly encouraged to apply.
- No crunch or overtime. We don't glorify this behavior.
Ideally, you will have...
- 3+ years professional experience as a Technical Game Designer or similar role.
- Strong communication skills, ability to self-schedule and drive features with support from design leadership.
- Proficiency in text scripting and programming languages. A Computer Science background is a plus.
- Ability to polish gameplay feel, mechanics, systems and moments to AAA quality.
- A strong sense of timing and taste, as well as cinematic flair.
- Experience in rapid prototyping and iterative design.
- Comfort level with various level editing packages (proprietary, Unity, Unreal, etc.) is a big plus.