Senior Technical Designer
9 days ago
Blackbird Interactive is a creative-fueled, future-driven, independent game studio where the best talent in the industry can find long-term careers to help grow their abilities while working on a wide range of projects, which encompass world-class IPs as well as our own creations across multiple genres.
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week as well as supporting in-studio, remote within Canada, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
Our team is looking for an experienced Sr. Technical Designer on a new Grand Strategy IP!
Do you want to build compelling game experiences having designed, prototyped, and delivered high profile gameplay systems, features, or tools? Do you love working with a team of talented designers, artists, and programmers to create ambitious in-game content?
If so, this role could be for you!
- Work with Designers and Programmers to improve scripting tools, identify, and maintain scripting best practices, and help lay the groundwork for gameplay and scripted content, before working with the team’s Designers for the final tuning and polish.
- Prototype, implement, and iterate on gameplay content such as events, scenarios, opponent behavior, game economy systems, game flow, event hooks for narrative and audio content, scripted sequences, tutorial/help systems, and bug fixing.
- Collaborate with artists, designers, and programmers on ways to improve the gameplay implementation to take advantage of existing technology and drive to the best end result possible.
- Work with producers and team leadership to assess requirements and provide effort estimates and updates to help ensure the team reaches its goals successfully.
- A minimum of 6+ years in game development, with at least 3+ years of Technical Design experience
- Confidence and familiarity with modern text based scripting or programming languages
- Self direction and a proven ability to thrive in a highly dynamic and technical environment
- Strong interdisciplinary collaboration skills, including verbal and written skills
- Developing or playing games featuring procedurally generated content.
- A real enjoyment and understanding of modern strategy games, including Real-Time Strategy (RTS), 4X, Grand Strategy, while experience in developing strategy games is a great plus.
- Experience in the production stage of a large scale shipped project.
- Knowledge of computer programming fundamentals.
- A desire to innovate and to create things that haven't been done before.
Vacation & Extras
+ 4-day, 32-hour work week for all full-time staff
+ Mentorship program
+ Skunkworks internal game jam program
+ 4 weeks paid vacation per year
+ 11 paid stat holidays
+ 3 paid days per year for professional development
+ December holiday studio closure (extra paid time off!)
+ Comprehensive health/dental benefits from day 1
+ Life insurance
+ $300 Healthcare Spending Account per annum
+ RRSP matching up to $1500
+ Profit-sharing bonus program
If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Any questions about the role and/or accessibility requests can be sent to: email@example.com
Unfortunately, we cannot reply to everyone. Only successful applicants will be contacted about the next steps. Thank you for your understanding.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of historically marginalized communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on gender, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Blackbird Interactive is privileged to be developing our projects on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ /Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.