NaturalMotion’s Action Strategy Group (ASG) is a BAFTA-nominated team developing an exciting new Star Wars™ game, running live operations on Dawn of Titans and developing a third unannounced game, all from our London studio.
We are a tight-knit team, with a sociable culture and a strong team identity whilst being able to experience all the benefits that come from being part of NaturalMotion and Zynga. The team crafts world-leading, mid-core games on a foundation of trust and camaraderie.
In 2018 & 2019 and 2020 NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
NaturalMotion seeks a Senior Unreal Technical Artist to join as a key member of the Art team to help develop it's latest blockbuster game.
In this role you will collaborate with the Art, Design and Code teams to push the quality envelope by creating, refining and improving the art workflows and processes to facilitate the creation of AAA visuals.
You are best described as a professional problem solver, able to adapt quickly to new workflows and techniques, to investigate solutions to unsolved problems and to logically diagnose pipeline issues and resolve them.
With a proven understanding of all areas of the Unreal 4 engine
Good experience in crafting sophisticated shaders and handling materials made with cutting edge technologies.
You will have some knowledge of creating Niagara based particle systems within the UE4 engine.
You will have a good understanding of UE4 optimisation techniques, with proven experience of using the built in profiling tools and of handling art content for frame rate and memory budgets.
You are ambitious, intelligent, and intellectually curious. You are trusting and trusted, flexible and emotionally mature, and you thrive on working with people who share these values. You will confidently and respectfully challenge the status quo in order to improve the quality of the game’s visuals and workflows.
You provide calm, confident ideas and suggestions within your field of expertise and will be able to identify potential issues before they become problems.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Expert knowledge of modern game art creation techniques in Unreal Engine 4
- R&D into cutting edge technologies that push mobile visual boundaries and performance
- Collaborating with art and wider subject areas to meet or exceed visual targets and ensure consistent product vision
- A Solid understanding of procedural art creation techniques
- Excellent knowledge of the UE4 Material and Blueprint systems including Material functions
- Maintaining the In-Engine material library
- Maintaining and improving on the existing tools and pipelines
- Excellent knowledge of Autodesk Maya
- In Depth knowledge of image file formats
- Good solid understanding of Quixel Megascans
- Good knowledge of PBR, current gen lighting and texturing workflows to build physically accurate materials
- Experience working as a technical artist on several titles
- Self-Organised and willing to participate in team meetings
- Creation and update of project related documentation
Bonus skills and experience
- Experience working with Unreal Engine 4 Landscape system
- Experience using World Machine
- A good understanding of rigging and animation
- Mel and or Python experience
- Perforce Source Management software
- Visual Studio
- A Passion for games
- A love of the Star Wars brand.
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga and exercise classes
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud of our broad community; we do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds. Join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
NaturalMotion is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need an accommodation during the interview process, please let us know.