Senior Technical Artist, Rendering - Unpublished Fighting Game
13 days ago
As a Technical Artist, you will focus on supporting artists with art asset prototypes so they can realize their work in-game. You will work with artists across all departments from modeling to lighting to ensure all assets work within the scope of the technical pipeline requirements. Working closely with each artistic department, you will standardize and improve development processes for the production of in game assets, materials, shaders, and scalable development pipelines.
Project L is Riot's League-IP take on a competitive fighting game. As a Senior Rendering Technical Artist on Project L, you will report to the Technical Art Director. You will work with art and engineering to build materials and shaders that support the art direction of the game. You will also support artists on the team as they create assets, developing tools and pipelines to help improve their workflows and remove technical barriers and inefficiencies.
- Maintain and extend core functionalities of existing shaders and shader libraries
- Support artists with look development as it pertains to shaders
- Provide technical support to artists and collect data to further improve the tools they use
- Collaborate with production to develop a long-term strategy to maintain and evolve the art workflows for your product
- Build close relationships with the artists and engineers you work alongside with to understand their needs and provide leadership on tool and pipeline development
- Serve as a craft mentor for more junior members of the technical art team
- 5+ years of professional experience as a technical artist in games or related industries
- A foundation in at least one ‘traditional’ category such as level design, environment art, animation or coding
- Strong art skills with experience and an understanding of modeling, shaders, texturing, and lighting for games
- Extensive experience working with game engine scripting and materials, and real-time lighting and workflows
- Highly proficient communication skills and capacity to act as an ambassador between art and engineering
- Critical thinking skills, particularly as it pertains to translating artistic requirements to sustainable workflow design
- Professional experience in Unreal and or Unity
- Professional experience in mobile and or AAA development
- Experience making tools and automation for one or more packages like Maya, Houdini, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, ZBrush, Knald, Marmoset, Photoshop, etc.
- Expertise in content creation and tool development in DCC tools, especially Maya, Photoshop, and Substance Designer/Painter
- Experience with look dev, color theory, camera lenses, and lighting direction
- Proficiency in Python programming
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
When submitting your application, please provide a portfolio of your high-quality technical art. And as a part of the application process, you may also be asked to complete an art test.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code . Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming .
(Redwood City only) Base salary range between $184,000 USD - $256,335 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $168,000 USD - $234,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
(Bellevue only) Base salary range between $168,000 USD - $234,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.