Senior Technical Artist, Characters & Rigging - Unreal Engine 4
2 months ago
People make games great. And at Survios, we know we can’t grow from an acclaimed VR studio to the world’s premier game developer and publisher without them. That’s why our most valuable investments aren’t in the next-generation technology we use to make our games or the swanky new HQ we’re building in Marina Del Rey, but in creating a hybrid workplace that seeks out talent across the globe, nurtures its people, and encourages fun. A workplace where every team member knows they’re respected and cared for. If you want to join a passionate team of developers driving toward the future of immersive gaming, we’d love to hear from you! Survios currently has an opening for a talented Senior Technical Artist, Characters & Rigging.
Characters are often the heart and soul of a game. The development space surrounding them is a complex technical space that needs a deft hand to ensure that it does not become unmanageable. Your job is to max the complex intuitive, and remove tedium with automation. To empower the character artists and animators to unleash their full creative potential, without having to constantly fight cumbersome technical problems.
You will work closely with the Technical Art team to grow and maintain a robust library of code and tools to create a world class development environment. You should be excited about changes in technology, and be brimming with ideas of how to integrate those into our rigging/character pipeline.
- Build the rigging pipeline used to create characters and animations to meet the exacting standards of today's game industry.
- Phase out and sunset the existing rigging tools, while doing some minor maintenance.
- Currently Using Art Tool:
- Create a unifying architecture between Maya and Unreal, modernizing the character workflow.
- Character and rig validation.
- Automated FBX source control.
- Communication between the two..
- Stay on top of current technology in the character space and ensure our character pipeline can stay current with the state of the industry and new Unreal features as they come online.
- Control Rig.
- Hair and Fur/ Grooms.
- Motion Warping.
- Full Body IK.
- Character artist facing tools, especially artist friendly skinning tools.
- Be an active communicator and collaborator with all the stakeholders involved with characters.
- Ensure we maintain a robust character review pipeline.
- Write and maintain documentation for tools, procedures, and best practices across pipelines, tools, and procedures.
- Be a willing and able mentor for both the consumers of your work and the peers working within your systems.
- Maintain and grow our culture of collaboration, trust, and inclusiveness that is key to our studio.
- Experience shipping projects with a focus on pipeline, tooling, and workflow enhancements in the character space for modern real time applications.
- Experience in rigging for real time engines.
- Experience in building character rigging pipeline in Maya.
- Advanced knowledge of Python scripting and related UI frameworks (PyQt / PySide).
- We are primarily already in Python 3.X(Rigging Tools still in 2.7)
- Experience with writing tools/scripts/code libraries in Python or other scripting languages.
- Expert source control knowledge, including automation of source control in game pipelines.
- Experience in Unreal Engine and an understanding of its workflows.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and documentation skills.
- A passion for promoting a positive team culture that champions new ideas, empowers coworkers to achieve their vision, while growing and maintaining a positive collaborative environment.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Creative problem solving skills that lead to innovative solutions on challenging technical problems.
- Expert Knowledge of Unreal, areas of interest include but not limited to:
- Authoring Tools.
- Control Rig.
- Hair and Fur.
- Character Centric Materials.
- Physics Assets.
- Animation State Machines.
- C++ Experience.
- Experience in simulation systems and tools in Maya and Unreal Engine.
- Understanding procedural workflows.
- Strong Foundation in 3d math.
- Experience with Machine Learning, and AI.
- Previous experience working with VR.
- Passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
Survios is an award-winning game studio that takes a holistic approach to development, merging our hardware, software, and games expertise to create unbelievable immersive game experiences. As we expand our focus from VR-Only to create games across all PC and Console platforms, we’re dedicated to leveraging our passion, expertise, and creativity to develop and publish the next generation of groundbreaking and immersive video games.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.