Senior Technical Artist (Capture) - Temporary Assignment
Los Angeles California United States
5 days ago
EA Worldwide Studios Content is looking for a Technical Artist for Create Capture, in its LA facility. The successful candidate will have strong technical experience within the entertainment motion capture industry, with hands-on system experience a prerequisite. As a Technical Artist, you will work together with the Motion Capture Specialists to prioritize and troubleshoot technical issues and will work towards implementing solutions for process and pipeline development, as defined by the Technical Director.
The successful candidate will have an in-depth knowledge of large optical motion capture systems (36+ camera installations), ideally both Vicon and Motion Analysis. Hands-on experience with motion capture system configurations (volume setup, data flow, camera aiming/focusing), stage calibrations, data acquisitions, and associated post-processing of collected optical data is essential. Has familiarity with image-based 3D character scanning systems. Can provide day to day technical support for both motion capture and 3D scanning shoots.
The Technical Artist will provide technical insight and will support other Subject Matter Experts within Create Capture while attending meetings, and discussions about upcoming motion capture sessions.
The role requires the ability to adapt to custom toolsets and workflows; to maintain the highest data quality and throughput, Create Capture maintains many custom solutions for all aspects of the motion capture process, and logs the data in a database network, as it flows through the various stages of processing. Familiarity in maintaining and rectifying record keeping systems, such as Shotgun and MySQL, are a requirement.
As a Technical Artist, you will regularly collaborate with the motion capture specialists within Create Capture to investigate and resolve technical issues for project-wide problems.
You will collaborate with other Technical Artists to investigate and implement new techniques, including the development of custom tools for workflow improvements and/or automation efficiencies per the technical vision of the Technical Director.
Experience with Unreal game engine and using it to enable Realtime in Production
You have experience with Unreal Engine 4 and its use and application in the field of Virtual Production.
**This position is a temporary assignment to start, with potential for longer term employment. Working hours are full time and will include time onsite at our Los Angeles capture facilities located in Chatsworth, CA. (Relocation is not offered for this position.)**
- Assist in the technical maintenance of a large optical motion capture installation.
- Support motion capture specialists within Create Capture to troubleshoot and resolve technical motion capture issues, including associated proprietary toolsets.
- Support and resolve database discrepancies to ensure integrity of data entry records; identify and repair issues with database entities that may prevent automated processing systems from their function.
- Assist troubleshooting efforts with technical scanning system issues.
- Represent a technical opinion and provide technical insight while attending meetings with other Subject Matter Experts within Create Capture.
- Create and maintain technical documents which include setup, usage, troubleshooting, and maintenance guides.
- Collaborate with and assist other Technical Artists within Create Capture to create custom scripts and tools to help support data processing needs.
- Collaborate with and assist other Technical Artists within Create Capture to support solutions to project-wide problems, as defined by the Technical Director.
- Collaborate with and assist other Technical Artists within Create Capture to investigate and implement technical solutions per the vision of the Technical Director.
Who you are:
- A passionate professional that thrives at the intersection between art and technology.
- At least 3 years’ experience in the entertainment motion capture industry, working hands-on with data acquisition and processing.
- At least 3 years’ experience working with industry standard motion capture applications (Vicon Shogun/Blade, Autodesk MotionBuilder, etc.).
- At least 3 years’ experience working with industry standard digital content creation applications (Autodesk Maya)
- Experience troubleshooting large-scale motion capture systems and configurations.
- Production experience with record keeping database systems (Shotgun, MySQL, etc.).
- At least 1 years’ production scripting experience, using interpreted scripting languages (Python, Mel, HSL, etc.).
- At least 1 years’ Unreal Engine 4 experience, using its visual scripting Blueprint system.
- At least 1 years’ experience with version control systems (Perforce, Git, etc.)
- Production experience with compiled application development is preferred (C++, C#, etc.). < --- I would expect these skills from a Senior TA or Junior SD, for a Junior TA might be a stretch, maybe list them as extra?
- Knowledge of other 3D game engines and editors is a plus.
- The ability to work under the pressures of a production environment during live capture sessions.
- Effective and clear communication skills.
EA Create is a collective of content production teams partnering with EA Studios game teams to deliver outstanding visuals, audio and technology. Our teams consist of artists, engineers, technicians, designers and development directors. Worldwide, we combine our teams to form a global group of extraordinary individuals fueled by imagination and a unified passion for creating amazing visuals, sound and experiences. We are a diverse team, unified through collaboration, culture and craft.
The EA Create Capture team is made up of industry leading experts responsible for motion and performance capture, 3D body and facial scanning, data processing and virtual cinematography.