Senior Systems Engineer, Backup and Recovery
Irvine California 92618 United States of America
8 days ago
Job Title:Senior Systems Engineer, Backup and Recovery
Blizzard is actively seeking a full time Systems Engineer to join our Infrastructure Engineering team in Irvine, CA. Your focus will be to build and support infrastructure which reliably stores and protects the data that powers all of Blizzard’s online games. You are comfortable working in all aspects of storage engineering and administration: IP and Fiber Channel networking, traditional storage arrays, scale out storage technologies, and backup/data protection systems, while helping to evolve our infrastructure towards being a storage service provider for our private cloud. Our environment is diverse; we have traditional storage arrays providing backing stores for many large databases, multi-petabyte scale File storage solutions, as well as scale-out storage systems providing block and object services for Blizzard’s private cloud. As such, you’ll also need some advanced Linux skills to install, maintain and configure storage software running on commodity server hardware.
If you would like to join us on our journey to becoming an extraordinary service provider, read on to find out exactly what kind of engineer we’re looking for. We would love to hear from you!
- Design robust backup solutions to meet demanding organizational and application specific SLAs including but not limited to RTO/RPO, offsite requirements and disaster recovery
- Provide analysis, design and direction regarding performance management and capacity planning services with regard to backups
- Lead and coordinate the engineering phases of backup solutions delivery including planning, design, build, testing, ordering and transition to operational support
- Streamline backup processes, improve recoverability, and reduce the cost per gigabyte to protect critical production data
- Undertake complex projects requiring specialized knowledge of storage technologies, services, and applications
- Responsible for upgrading, stabilizing and re-engineering worldwide legacy backup environments and incorporating into modern production backup infrastructure
- Configuration and implementation of backup software solutions
- Performance and maintenance of backup servers and other hardware components supporting backup infrastructure
- Responsible for input and deployment of worldwide backup infrastructure
- Capacity planning and reporting pertaining to backup infrastructure
- Minimum 5+ years of experience managing and operating an enterprise backup solution in a large scale environment
- Expert knowledge and experience with backup software technologies. IBM Spectrum Protect / TSM is preferred
- Advanced experience with enterprise File storage hardware technologies; Isilon, Qumulo, Netapp preferred
- Advanced knowledge of SAN fabric technologies. Cisco MDS and Brocade Fabric OS are preferred
- Expert knowledge of Deduplication Storage Systems. Data Domain is preferred
- Working knowledge of server hardware and experience working in large enterprise scale environments
- Working understanding of network storage including FCoE, NFS, iSCSI, CIFS, DFS
- Ability to perform Storage administrative and operational tasks such as LUN/space provisioning, Fileshare access, monitoring, troubleshooting issues
- Public Cloud experience (AWS, GCP)
- Experience with Oracle Databases, RAC, and RMAN
- Ability to write software in Python or some other administrative language
- BS in Computer Science or related IT field
- Passion for games, and/or game industry experience
COVID-19 Hiring Update:
We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Team Name:IT - Infrastructure Engineering