This job might no longer be available.
Senior Systems Development Engineer
San Francisco, CA
3 months ago
Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn , Twitter and on our Blog .
About the Position
We are looking for a talented and experienced Senior Systems Development Engineer with an action-oriented mindset and a focus on exceeding expectations, who operates with vision and integrity. A person who understands customer obsession and wants to build a culture of customer-first partnerships across all boundaries, and has the desire to continually evolve the value of Twitch IT’s engineering organization. You’ll help create and maintain internal applications that support the corporate side of Twitch. You’ll also work closely with our Production Operations group to enable performance, reliability, scalability monitoring and metrics. Lastly, you’ll mentor other engineers and define a solid technology foundation to further iterate upon. The ideal candidate will be a solid System Engineer, who is proficient in developing automation to solve problems and manage systems, and who is comfortable with a broad set of IT disciplines.
If you are a candidate that enjoys translating complex requirements into scalable, technical solutions and believes in the ability to develop the skills and talents of other engineers, then you may be the ideal person for this position.
- Cloud Infrastructure. Own back-end services like our data warehouses, front-end services, infrastructure components, and everything in between.
- Systems Management. Drive ease of monitoring and reduction of operational overhead.
- Automation. Develop tooling and automation around operational tasks, write and review code, create documentation and capacity plans.
- Design. Participate in technical architecture review around operations.
- Collaboration. Work closely with other internal teams to deep-dive complex issues.
- Operations. Triage and respond to operational issues, participate in on-call rotation and be an engineering escalation contact for service incidents.
- Leadership. Mentor other engineers on the team .
- Engineering degree, or a related technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
- At least 5 years experience building highly available/clustered infrastructure
- At least 4 years experience programming/scripting in Python and/or Go, or similar
- Experience learning software, frameworks, and APIs
- At least 3 years experience in configuration management (Chef/Ansible/Puppet)
- At least 5 years experience in a lead technical operations role, including incident response
- Experience in infrastructure as code (CloudFormation and/or Terraform)
- At least 5 years experience working in cross-functional teams and collaborating with business stakeholders in support of a departmental and/or multi-departmental technology initiatives
- Requires strong interpersonal skills
- Requires an ability to function largely independently
- Requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Requires an understanding of AWS and the services it offers
- Requires an understanding of networks and networking
- You can teach us something new! We love to hire people who are way more knowledgeable than us and can be good teachers and mentors
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services, including but not limited to EC2, S3, VPC, IAM, EFS, RDS, and DirectX
- Experience building and testing your own user-facing projects and have an intuition about both user behavior and product design
- Experience working with security teams to build secure solutions from the design-phase
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.