Senior Systems Designer - Progression (Star Wars FPS)
17 days ago
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
In collaboration with Lucasfilm, the Star Wars FPS Team is developing a new AAA FPS in the Star Wars galaxy. Inspired by classic titles like Dark Forces and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, our story-driven single player game is being developed from the ground up leveraging the power of Unreal Engine 5. We’re combining this inspiration and technology with Respawn’s pedigree for making best-in-class shooters to deliver a brand new experience our players will love.
We are looking for an experienced systems designer with expertise in progression and economy systems to join us in creating our new Star Wars First Person Shooter Game. As a senior, you will have the opportunity to pitch, iterate, and manage multiple world-building and progression systems. We are looking for someone with the capacity to look at the whole game and tune the systems and content in a way that the player will always have something exciting ahead of them.
What you will do:
- Reporting to a Lead Designer, you will craft, tune, and administer the economy and other systems of a Single Player Experience.
- Pitch and develop features and content that enhance the narrative, world-building, and systemic aspects of the game.
- Collaborate with Narrative, Mission Design, and other areas to ensure a smooth game progression that will keep players engaged and satisfied throughout the game.
- Prepare math models to validate the economy, the tuning of content, and other mechanics.
- Collaborate and guide the development of tools to manage the content of the game.
- Have fun with a passionate collaborative team creating a new and exciting Star Wars experience!
Ideally, you will have:
- 5+ years of experience in the games industry working in a systems design capacity, shipping at least one title including a shipped AAA game.
- Experience working with the Unreal game engine, with a strong understanding of implementation and integration into the pipeline.
- Extensive experience managing player progression and engagement, and a keen eye for content curation.
- Practical knowledge of math modeling, for fast iteration of economy and progression features.
- Experience in rapid prototyping to test the feasibility of concepts.
- Experience developing pipelines and collaborating to develop technology.
- A portfolio with examples and detailed breakdowns of your work, showcasing the above.
- Competency in clearly and effectively pitching game design concepts.
- A team-oriented approach to your work, understanding the importance of collaboration, and partnering with all departments.
- Willingness to master new tools and techniques.
- Passion about the play experience, with a wealth of knowledge across a wide range of games.
- Passion for making and playing games.
- Passion for Star Wars and FPS games is a plus!
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks .
US COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The base salary ranges listed below are for the defined geographic market pay zones in these states. If you reside outside of these locations, a recruiter will advise on the base salary range and benefits for your specific location.
EA has listed the base salary ranges it in good faith expects to pay applicants for this role in the locations listed, as of the time of this posting. Salary offered will be determined based on numerous relevant business and candidate factors including, for example, education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, and business or organizational needs.
BASE SALARY RANGES
- California (depending on location e.g. Los Angeles vs. Sacramento):
º $113,300 - $171,700
- New York (depending on location e.g. Manhattan vs. Buffalo):
º $111,500 - $171,700
º $126,700 - $171,700
- Colorado (depending on location e.g. Denver vs. Colorado Springs):
º $111,500 - $144,000
- Washington (depending on location e.g. Seattle vs. Spokane):
º $111,500 - $157,300
Base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at EA. We also offer a package of benefits including paid time off (3 weeks per year to start), 80 hours per year of sick time, 16 paid company holidays per year, 10 weeks paid time off to bond with baby (following 1 year of service), medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and 401(k) to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.