Senior Software Engineering Manager - Gameplay Services
16 days ago
The EADP Gameplay Services Platform powers online features for EA's game titles serving millions of users each day. We live, breathe, and dream about how we can make every player's multiplayer experience memorable. We develop services and SDKs in collaboration with EA's game studios for matchmaking, stats and leaderboards, achievements, game replays, VOIP, and game networking. We try to capture the most memorable portions of your experience, such as statistics to compare yourself to other players, achievements you earned during play, and even replays of your own games to share. We build scalable, distributed back-end services that bring functionality to our millions of customers and work on creative improvements to keep our systems at top-notch performance!
What does a Senior Engineering Manager do?
As a Senior Engineering Manager your primary responsibility will be to lead a team of engineers in strategic planning, building, testing, and operating several of our services. Most of your time will be spent working with the team delivering new features and services that promote better experiences for our players while optimizing performance, reliability, and scalability of those services.
You will report to a Director of Engineering and as a people manager, you will help shape people's careers and mentor the team in growing and reaching their full potential. Engineering leads at EA are expected to live by EA's values: Be Human First, Play as One, Aim, Inspire, Listen and Improve.
Strategy and Planning:
- Create technical requirements for new services and new features
- Work with engineers, program, and product managers to balance making forward-looking technical investments, delivering new features for customers, and driving down technical debt
- Provide input for high-level planning (resource planning, effort estimate, impact/priority/risk/dependency assessment)
- Work with customers and business leaders to understand their needs and use cases for our services
- Review designs, demos and documentation to ensure team's deliverables meets requirements
- Promote improvements (process, tooling) to increase engineering productivity and product quality.
- Participate in sprint execution. Assist team with estimation, risk and dependency management, overcoming technical challenges and removing roadblocks to ensure delivery
- Provide feedback to help your team support career development and learning
- Recognize team members and align rewards with performance
- Hands-on development – you lead by example
- Interview and hire engineers according to resource planning
- Coaching and mediation skills
- Experience managing and project planning for a 10+ team
- Technical leadership and mentoring experience
- Experience with all phases of product development lifecycle, including requirement definition, development, test, and product release
- 7+ years Java/J2EE experience
- Experience with stress testing plus performance tuning and optimization
- Excellent debugging and optimization skills working in a multi-threaded environment
- Experience assessing, troubleshooting and mitigating issues in live environments
- Knowledge of high traffic services and highly scalable systems
- Knowledge of relational or NoSQL database
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Experience with cloud computing technologies such as Envoy, Istio, Kubernetes including auto scaling and elastic load balancing
- Knowledge of gRPC and protobuf
- Knowledge of scalable data storage and processing technologies such as Cassandra, Apache Spark and AWS S3
- Experience working within the games industries