Senior Software Engineer - iOS
San Francisco, CA
1 year ago
Our mobile engineers are dedicated to continually building new features for the tens of millions of people using our app every day. Come help us build the iOS version of a voice and text chat app that helps create meaningful relationships with each other! This will be an opportunity to shape the foundation and future of iOS at Discord.
Our small, but mighty mobile team are passionate about developing well-designed, scalable software that will create conversations, communities, and a place for belonging to our millions of users - while maintaining good work/life balance. We believe that a clean, simple, and elegant interface is pivotal to achieving the best user experience.
We’re looking for product-driven, thoughtful mobile engineers who have strong attention to detail, strong understanding of UX design, and very importantly, compassion for our users. We encourage our engineers to follow their interests while maintaining real ownership over their work.
What you'll be doing
- Refine and continue to modernize our iOS app in React Native and Objective-C (and Swift! Brackets be gone).
- Work on meaningful, large-scale, mobile-first initiatives to allow for users to have more delightful conversations, enjoy game perks (coming soon!), and support the product.
- Architect elegant and maintainable code with a focus on autonomy and support from the team.
- Build intuitive features to improve the experience specifically for mobile users (this is still an open ended problem here! Help us come up with great new ideas).
- Collaborate with design, data, and business teams to build beautiful interfaces that look great and run smoothly.
- Proactively drive and improve the technical direction of mobile, bolstering the technical foundational, improving performance, and re-architecting as needed.
What you should have
- Our iOS app is built on React Native, so experience in it (or React itself!) is preferred. However, we also are happy to take on senior native iOS engineers who are interested in learning the React Native side of things.
- Experience developing and shipping real-world iPhone and/or iPad applications (or personal side projects that contribute to the iOS community with a shown passion for engineering and product sense)
- Excellent attention to detail and an eye for visuals. Design skills are not required but you should be able to critique and modify existing designs
Benefits and Perks
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance (options for individual and/or family, including One Medical membership for health) and Disability benefits
- Commuter subsidies, healthcare and/or Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- 4 weeks of PTO (alongside 14 paid holidays and use-what-you-need sick days)
- Parental Leave
- Well-being programs, including fitness allowance (we have yoga once a week in our office!)
- 401(K) plans
- Catered lunches Monday-Friday and a fully-stocked kitchen (snacks and beverages galore!)
- Regular company and team social events such as game nights, happy hours and events
- An annual desk fund to make your space truly yours
- Headphone allowance
- Internal Learning and Development workshops to help with continued personal and professional growth
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.