Senior Software Engineer - Tools
13 days ago
Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn , Twitter and on our Blog .
About the Role
We are growing the AWS IVS video engineering team at Twitch to deal with the challenging problem of being the 4th largest consumer of bandwidth and one of the biggest gaming experiences in the world. Here is a short list of our current scale:
- Serve more than 150 million unique visitors per month
- More than 2 million peak concurrent users
- 16 billion minutes of video watched each month and growing
- Anticipated scale year-over-year = 2.5x
To support this rapid expansion, we're investing in tools and automation to help our engineers be as happy as possible. You will report to the Video Tools - Operational Tooling team, a team which builds the next generation of tools for IVS's Video Infrastructure teams. These tools will help operators and engineers perform and be able to operate our growing bare metal fleet. When you *really* nail it, they will love the tools and be delighted every day.
We're kicking off lots of new projects here so you will design solutions and then implement your vision. You will work with the users of your solutions, as you will be part of Twitch's IVS Video team.
The video tools team works with software development, DevOps, and operations teams to specify and develop the next generation of tools used by our organization and help us migrate to those tools.
- Build tools that make engineers happy and make them more efficient
- Design services/processes to help operators to automate their jobs
This position can also be located in Irvine, CA; Seattle, WA; New York, NY; and Salt Lake City, UT.
- Work with your customers (other engineers) to understand their tooling needs
- Find opportunities on your own team and others to automate
- Always strive toward continuous improvement and operational efficiency
- Evaluate new systems rapidly to understand their strengths and weaknesses
- Contribute to build vs. buy decisions
- Co-own (with the team) projects delivering team goals
- Write code in Python and Go to support all of the above
- BS in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of full-time industry experience
- Experience delivering tools or development infrastructure for software development or operations.
- Code ability at the system level in a language such as Go or Python.
- Documentation knowledge for technical users.
- Understand complex systems and form wide-cutting improvements
- Experience measuring performance and optimizing backend services.
- Experience writing Go or open-source contributions.
- Experience deploying code in a service-oriented architecture to AWS using multiple AWS features.
- Experience working on large bare metal fleets (>1000 hosts).
- Experience with integration testing in a service-oriented architecture.
- Experience automating operational workflows.
- Experience migrating an existing system to a multi-datacenter environment.
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet, Ansible, or Chef.
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- 401(k), Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.),
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or other legally protected status.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.