Senior Software Engineer, Server - Shared Game Engine
6 months ago
Job Title:Senior Software Engineer, Server - Shared Game Engine
Blizzard Entertainment is developing a modern, cross-platform game engine to share across all of Blizzard and power the future of Blizzard games. This new project advances technology both at Blizzard and in the gaming industry. You’ll join a collaborative team of experienced and highly skilled developers who will work with game teams across the company to deliver a truly epic game engine. Get in early and help shape the future of gaming.
We are looking for expert backend server programmers who are passionate about developing server code that scales and stands up to extensive use. Our ideal candidate has a passion for solving complex multiplayer problems, developing systems on multiple platforms, and working in areas like core architecture, gameplay networking, server messaging, serialization, connection/transport systems, and more!
What you’ll do…
- Contribute to the development and discussions surrounding overall engine architecture
- Collaborate with team members and teams across Blizzard to design, develop and refine server and networking systems that will be used by a variety of games and platforms
- Design and implement foundational server technologies and key components that other engineers at Blizzard will use and build upon
- Develop the gameplay Netcode model used for future Blizzard games
- Solve large scale distributed systems problems so future engine users can focus on making awesome games
- Maintain tools for performance, stability, and error-free operation
- Identify and resolve pipeline issues and discover opportunities for improvement
- Help evangelize shared server technology across the organization.
To succeed, you must have…
- Understanding of what makes a good API for developers and users
- Shipped network game experience
- Customer service attitude with an eye for efficiency and workflow
- Significant C++ experience
- Experience with a wide spectrum of backend technology and the instincts and prototyping skills for quickly evaluating ideas and likelihood of success
- Communication skills for sharing ideas clearly, giving meaningful feedback, and listening to what others are saying
You’re a great fit if your philosophy is to…
- Commit to doing things the right way, even when it's difficult
- Refine your work through iteration until you can deliver an epic experience/product
- Value diversity and differences in others
- Find simple and practical solutions by building on the ideas and work of others
- Ensure discussions include every voice that has something to say
- Enable technology that makes games accessible to every person who wants to play them
- Accept that frequent and quick failure is part of the path to success
We’d love it if you also have…
- Desire to mentor, communicate, and collaborate with developers of all technical skill levels and disciplines
- Experience in game development
- Experience in relevant tech such as Relational Databases (SQL), Document Stores (NoSQL), Cassandra, and Docker
- Systems level programming experience on Linux
- Mobile and console game development experience
- Experience working with or contributing to in-house engine development
- Passion for gaming
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to champion an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Team Name:Unannounced Project