Senior Software Engineer - Safety Engineering
13 days ago
The Safety Engineering Team at Discord works on building the user-facing features that keeps users safe at Discord. We oversee the end-to-end experience for users and work to collect, annotate, route, and make actions on user reports. Keeping users safe is an essential contributor to growth at Discord which is why the output of the team is so important.
As an engineer on the Safety Engineering team, your focus is on building the user-facing features that helps keep our users safe. The challenge here is immense as we are building the primitives that will power reporting, incident grouping and moderation on Discord. Join a small team that is designing a new stack to power the future of safety at Discord.
What you'll do
- Work on building Discords incident dispatcher & report router
- Work on our internal Rust & Python stack
- Find ways to utilize our internal ML models to annotate & enrich user reports
- Expand our internal APIs to combat abusive content
- Move quickly to respond to the moving target of abuse on Discord
What you should have
- 4+ years experience building event-driven systems
- Experience working on, and deploying, large-scale systems in Python, Rust, Go, or other similar language
- You excel in undefined environments, get excited about creating solutions to complex problems, and building on them.
- You can work with others to create pragmatic solutions — and then evolve and generalize them.
- You can take a high-level goal and achieve a shippable solution.
- Experience with real-time streaming data systems like Kafka or PubSub
- Experience with review queues
- Experience working in the Anti-Abuse domain
- You have a moral compass that navigates and motivates you
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16 paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out. If this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.