Senior Software Engineer (Remote)
16 days ago
PlayQ is a rapidly growing global entertainment and technology company delivering high-quality mobile titles and innovative game development solutions to a worldwide audience. Our games have been downloaded more than 60 million times across the globe, with millions of users playing every day!
Our dedicated teams, based in downtown Santa Monica, CA, work together to craft the clever, visually stunning, and unforgettable experiences that our players love. Our emphasis on individual leadership means each team member has the opportunity to make a big impact, while our commitment to creative freedom gives them the ability to create whatever they can imagine.
It’s this mindset that has led us to develop our own IP, infuse games with rich storytelling, build our own development tools, and solve the deepest technical challenges - all in the name of disrupting the mobile gaming landscape.
Why you'll want to come to work:
Our Senior Software Engineer role offers a unique opportunity to contribute to the development of our current and future mobile titles. As an integral part of our Engineering team, you will help extend our game development framework while also designing, implementing, and maintaining software systems and game features across multiple titles. You will work in close collaboration with, and provide technical guidance to, the Production, Art, Design, Product, and Quality Assurance teams. Our ideal candidate is a passionate programmer with strong coding fundamentals, experience shipping titles using the Unity platform, and a drive to push projects to quality completion.
What you'll get to create:
- Participate in the full software development lifecycle of our products and tech stack, including software design, coding, debugging, and delivering new features, support systems, and frameworks for our current and future mobile titles.
- Design robust and extensible software architecture
- Implement highly performant features.
- Partner with our Production team to align on task estimates and schedules, and then complete projects on time and within budget.
- Proactively seek technical solutions to improve sprint velocity and product quality.
- Create and refactor engineering tools and processes to increase team effectiveness.
- Be a strong voice for software quality, future-proofing, and technical performance metrics such as framerate and memory allocation. Surface and advocate for technical needs to aid leadership in balancing against other business needs.
- Support, mentor, and help develop expertise in other engineers.
- Identify technical requirements of upcoming game features. Communicate with management, team leads, and other engineers regarding programming needs and performance.
What you'll bring to the team:
- B.S. in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 6+ years game development experience
- Experience working on multiple Android and/or iOS applications while publishing at least one
- Solid understanding of Agile development, continuous integration systems, games-as-a-service, and source control
- Expertise in C#, object oriented programming, asynchronous programming, and component oriented architectures
- Experience with Unity, including non-game loop features such as addressables, shaders, particle systems, and editor tool creation
- A habit of writing super-clean, encapsulated, testable, and well documented code
- A desire to work very closely with a small, high-energy team of designers, QA, and programmers
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to learn and stay up with industry changes and new technologies
- Ability to work on fixed deadlines
- A strong commitment to stability, performance, & outstanding user experience
- Proactively supports colleagues in meeting their objectives, regardless of department
- Experience using mobile platform native features
- Experience implementing and/or creating native iOS and Android plugins for Unity
If you gotten this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role. Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people who believe in PlayQ's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways—not just candidates who check all the boxes.
What we can offer you:
- Competitive compensation and equity options
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life, long term disability & pet insurance
- Flexible time off
- Unmatched learning opportunities and mission driven team
- Advancement and mentorship opportunities
- 401K plan with company match
- Flexible Workplace: PlayQ’s workplace includes a combination of both in-office, hybrid and remote roles. Our flexible approach to the workplace experience, internal comms, and tech stack promote collaboration, communication, and camaraderie!
- Brand new creative office space equipped with tons of natural light, communal areas for collaboration and free parking
- Walking distance to restaurants, coffee shops, and the metro
- Stocked kitchen with snacks and beverages
- Monthly team building events and cross departmental lunches
- Help build and support awesome GAMES. For a living! Who doesn't love games?
At PlayQ, we leverage competitive benchmarking data when setting each role’s base pay range. Individual base salary will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, scope of role, business need and geographic location.
The estimated base pay range for this role is listed below.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- In-office location: Santa Monica, CA
- This role is open to remote employees located in select US states including California, Washington, Nevada, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, New York.
- This role is offered as a full time position.