Senior Software Engineer - Products
10 days ago
Job Title:Senior Software Engineer - Products
Senior Software Engineer - Social Team (Vancouver)
Demonware is a member of the Activision family of studios. We work alongside engineers and creatives at our AAA partner studios and deliver the online and data services required by our massive franchises. We have launched well over 100 games, and our services connect multiple millions of players each day into epic entertainment experiences.
While Call of Duty continues to push us to build bigger and better systems year on year. We also have a strong history of supporting great franchises such as Tony Hawk, Crash Bandicoot, Destiny, Diablo, Guitar Hero, and Skylanders.
Our success comes for our talented and passionate people. Our work environment is welcoming and collaborative, we deliver on time and at scale.
That sounds amazing, but what kind of impact can I make?
As a member of the Social Team, your responsibilities will focus on systems that allow our players to engage with one another. You will work closely with the game studios to improve, maintain or deliver new features that will connect players with each other in meaningful ways.
Our players will interact with your work every day, millions of times per day.
No previous work experience in the video game industry is required, however the ability to put yourself in the shoes of our players is essential. This role will have a direct impact on the online services for AAA multiplayer games, including Call of Duty.
Sounds awesome, what will my “day-to-day” look like?
- Design and build highly-scalable services using open source technologies to enable crucial player to player interactions
- Keeping a player first mindset when delivering solutions
- Focusing on player engagement and “fun”
- Iterating and innovating on solutions
- Solving hard problems
- Participating in all stages of development process on a cross-disciplinary team
- Teaching, mentoring more junior members of the team
- Working with very talented engineers from all over the world
Sounds exciting, what would you like to see in my background?
- 6+ years of relevant work experienceExperience in designing and building software for services platforms
- Excellence in writing and reviewing code, preferably in Python
- Experience building applications that use MySQL, Cassandra, and/or Redis
- Experience with test-driven development, and automated testing frameworks
- Experience delivering within Scrum/Agile development methodologies
- Experience working in a business-critical production environment
- Experience operating live high-volume consumer-facing applications
- Experience with load testing and performance optimization
- Experience with social networks
- Ownership of initiatives from inception through deployment and sustainment
What’s in it for me?
An excellent salary, with annual performance reviews and discretionary bonuses
- 5 weeks of vacation, standard
- Pension matching and contributions
- Top-tier medical, dental, and life insurance coverage
- Flexible working practices, based on the belief that the quality of your work is not dependent on the number of hours sitting behind a desk
- A culture that emphasizes continual learning and improvement, with opportunities for career progression, travel, and a commitment to open source
Hit “apply” to send us your resume/CV and one of our recruiters will be in touch if there is a fit. Thanks for considering us!