Senior Software Engineer (NodeJS/GraphQL)
Vancouver British Columbia Canada
13 days ago
At our core, Electronic Arts is a game maker that connects hundreds of millions of players from around the globe to some of the world’s greatest games. The EAX team is driving the strategy and implementation of important plans for EA’s community of players to connect them to one another and to the games they love to play. These plans include: EA Access, our cross-platform subscription on Origin, PS4, Xbox One and soon on Steam: Origin, EA’s gaming service on PC; and a host of other consumer experiences and strategies to connect friends across platforms and within our games.
In your role as Senior Software Engineer, you will guide the architectural strategy, design and implementation of performant and scalable APIs supporting millions of concurrent users.
You’ll report to the team's Technical Director and work with technical leaders and project partners across the organization to understand and create architectural approaches for the software’s design and implementation, and then guide development teams to bring your vision to life.
You’ll share architectural knowledge and promote technical decision-making throughout the development organization, always with an eye towards the non-functional requirements and software needs - quality, maintainability, scalability, reliability, security, etc. As a senior member of our software engineering family you will be an important contributor to the EAX team based in EA Vancouver (Still Creek).
Joining EAX means joining the team shaping EA’s subscription services now spanning three major platforms; building consumer experiences that power EA’s games and promoting more personalized, socially connected, and frictionless experiences; and expanding our platforms across web, PC, mobile, the cloud and beyond so our players can get into the games they want to play and stay connected while playing. We like to say that “we see farther”, and are committed to driving innovation to meet player needs today and in the future.
You’re someone with a track record for:
- Building performant REST and GraphQL APIs at scale. You’re able to talk at length about the APIs you built, how you built them, and why you made the decisions you did.
- Guide the definition, adoption and implementation of architectural strategies within small to medium sized development teams
- Be an expert with regards to the server-side tech stack. Ours includes NodeJS, GraphQL, Java, ElasticSearch, SQL and non-SQL databases, AWS, Kubernetes and Akamai. You are also willing and able to quickly become an expert with other technologies as adopted.
- Find your way. You’ve got experience that helps you work and excel in a cross-functional organization
- Be resourceful. You’re comfortable with an agile environment.
- Understand your strengths. You can partner and collaborate with partners.
- Maintain calm, helping identify clarity.
- Most notably you are technically experienced and can establish the use of architectural strategies to help EAX to achieve our goals today and into the future.
You also bring the following skills or experiences to our team:
- 10+ years of experience in a software development role, with a recent 2+ years of that focusing on architectural responsibilities for large-scale systems reaching millions of users
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience building performant API services using technologies such as NodeJS or Java at enterprise scale
- Experience designing scalable and maintainable API architectures. Understand the tradeoffs between event-driven and synchronous integration. Design for failure. Architect systems with operational concerns in mind.
- Experience developing and scaling performant GraphQL APIs, preferably with NodeJS and Apollo
- Experience delivering system-level technical design and documentation
- Expertise with API architecture paradigms and best practices
- Experience with SQL and non-SQL databases such as MySQL, MongoDB, RDS, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch
- Experience with both object-oriented and functional software design principles
- Experienced with Continuous Integration, Delivery and Deployment best practices
Nice to have skills would also include:
- Experience with NodeJS and Typescript
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes, and familiarity with the AWS ecosystem
- Experience with Java or other server-side languages such as Kotlin, Scala, Go, etc
- Experience with agile methodologies and the roles and responsibilities that contribute to a healthy agile team
- Experience using Git and related tools like GitLab, GitHub, Bitbucket etc
- Experience delivering technical presentations
- Enthusiasm for gaming desired; ability to stay on the forefront of industry trends a big plus
Compensation and Benefits
- Great compensation package and bonus (relocation assistance available)
- Comprehensive health, dental and benefit packages
- Employee discounts with many local and online retailers
- Excellent on-campus facilities include gym, soccer, volleyball, yoga, nutritionist, dry-cleaning, massage, haircuts, etc
- Free and discounted video games
- Tuition reimbursement for post-secondary education
- Pension with company match
- Maternity and paternity plans
- Employee referral bonus program
- Dog friendly workplace - on-location off leash dog areas