Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning
Sunnyvale, California, United States
14 days ago
Do you want to help connect people all over the world and build the next generation of planet scale AR games? Niantic's Machine Learning Engineering team is looking for a strong software engineer interested in gaining more exposure to the exciting world of data science and machine learning. We're particularly interested in highly skilled generalist software engineers who are hungry to learn and have already mastered a wide range of complex backend technologies. Existing machine learning knowledge is a plus but not required. You'll collaborate closely with our expert team of machine learning engineers to craft a beautiful and highly scalable data stack powering all of Niantic's games, gaining deep knowledge of the machine learning field in the process.
- Design a large-scale data processing architecture and collaborate on implementing it with the team.
- Mentor junior engineers, teaching them solid architectural practices and leveling them up in their technical careers.
- Enjoy hands-on exploration and processing of large, complex data sets.
- Collaborate with game teams to get your code into our games, including Pokemon GO.
- Learn machine learning from the team and use that knowledge to inform your architecture.
- Work with engineering leadership to help shape the structure and process of our growing ML and Data organization.
- Strong generalist software engineer with 5+ years of development experience in multiple backend areas.
- Strong knowledge of at least two programming languages, one of which is Python or Java. Cloud platform experience preferred.
- Adept working with SQL - you should be able to write complex queries in your sleep and you're excited working hands-on with data.
- Experience with the full software development lifecycle, including design/architecture, testing, deployment, and documentation.
- Excitement to learn ML. Experience with machine learning techniques, a strong mathematical background, or a graduate degree are pluses but not requirements.
- A B.S. in a STEM field or equivalent hands-on experience. A public portfolio (such as a GitHub page) is an advantage.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.