Senior Software Engineer, Input Systems
16 days ago
In Core we are looking for a senior engineer that loves solving complex problems and has a passion for the development experience within Unity. In our view, solving complex problems requires a desire to understand users’ workflows and challenges, creativity, certain risk taking and the ability to work well within a team. It also requires being able to take decisions, iterate, work with feedback and learn.
Core is a part of R&D and we are looking for a Senior Engineer to be based in Stockholm or Berlin to work with us on our Input system. Input is at the heart of what makes real-time projects created in Unity interactive.
The team consists of six passionate engineers with development, quality-assurance or product design backgrounds and is also supported by a Technical Program Manager and a Product Manager. The team operates remotely with team members primarily being located at Unity offices in Stockholm, Berlin, Copenhagen and Pittsburgh. We work according to agile principles and continuously try to improve both how we work and continuously evolve our product to meet user expectations. The team works closely with platform-specific teams to build support for creators to target many different platforms or devices with a single implementation effort.
We are on a continuous quest to support use-cases for games and other interactive experiences and craft the tools that enable Unity users to successfully realize their creative visions - across platform boundaries. A big part of the challenge is supporting a wide range of input methods and devices technically: keyboards, mice, gamepads, touch, gestures, VR controllers etc. on a large number of target platforms lik desktop, mobile, consoles etc. This drives a need to craft a flexible and consistent toolbox of technical solutions that at the same time supports an appealing user onboarding process that allows Unity users to learn the basic concepts and slowly transition to more advanced concepts.
What you will be doing
- Help improve the quality and stability of our existing Input System package.
- Enable users to transition from the legacy Input API to to the new Input System as effortlessly as possible by providing documentation, example projects and through tool and API design.
- Develop new functionality to enable users to quickly set up controls for multiple platforms ranging from mobile to VR.
- Participate in team and cross-team discussion and initiatives to find and build solutions to support use-cases requested by our users.
- Work with support and abstraction of a multitude of input devices ranging from traditional devices such as keyboards and mice to touchscreens and VR controllers.
- Work with the full software life-cycle of software development ranging from finding solutions, prototyping, implementing, testing and releasing.
What we are looking for
- Understanding of large code bases involving C# and C++ and desire to solve the challenges it can bring.
- Empathy for our users. At Unity we put users first.
- Willingness to learn and grow as an engineer and as a person.
- Someone who wants to solve problems together with fellow team-mates and across team-boundaries to let the best ideas win.
- Someone who thinks knowledge-sharing is important and wants to contribute to developing both the team and your co-workers.
- Someone who is passionate about technology and developing high-quality software.
You might also have
- Prior development experience within Unity.
- Experience from working with platform-specific or cross-platform APIs to handle input or output data on one or multiple platforms supported by Unity.
- Experience in building interactive games or applications and quality assure them through automated tests.
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
The company’s 1,800+ person research and development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than five billion times per month in 2020. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.