This job might no longer be available.
Senior Software Engineer II
3 months ago
Job Title:Senior Software Engineer II
Senior Software Engineer, Game Services Social
About the Role
In this role, you will join a tight-knit Empowered Product Team that develops scalable, highly performant and highly available global game services. This role focuses on building and improving player social systems integrated by studios across Activision and Blizzard and used daily by millions of players concurrently. This team builds the heart of Battle.net player systems and your services are directly leveraged by every major game release!
Candidates must work well on a team, have an interest in developing massive distributed systems with a strong focus on server-side C++ and exhibit a passion for bringing people closer together through social networking.
- Contribute to the design, development, and maintenance of large-scale distributed systems and social features in C++
- Create unit and integration test code to validate service reliability
- Write API documentation for consumption by game developers and other integrators
- Function as the backup team lead when necessary
- Coordinate with embedded and external teams, create relationships and assist with shared initiatives
- Adhere to established coding standards & development philosophies, maintain efficient coding practices, and produce clean code that works
- Perform research to discover new, enabling technologies and acquire knowledge necessary to complete assigned tasks
- Create technical design documents and other artifacts
- Mentor junior engineers and participate in code & design reviews
- Participate in on-call rotation to rapidly resolve live incidents related to our systems
- Troubleshoot and debug issues with our live and in-development services
- Focus on outcomes, rather than output
- Uphold and promote the Blizzard Core Values
The Game Services Social team develops the global social-network software used by players on the Battle.net platform, both in-game and via various mobile and desktop apps. Our mission is to build social features which unlock the greatness of gaming together.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5 years of experience with software development in C++
- Experience building high-performance distributed systems and client/server applications
- Strong data-structure, logic, and algorithm skills
- Experience with Linux development, GDB debugging, and command line tools
- Experience with Windows application or service development
- Self-motivated and able to break down complex tasks
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science with a specialization in Software Engineering
- 8+ years of experience with software development in C++, including C++17 or later
- 2+ years of experience with software development in C#
- Some technical leadership and coaching experience
- Experience with Functional Programming through Rust, OCaml, Scala, F#, or Haskell
- Experience developing libraries, frameworks, APIs, and/or SDKs for use by other developers
- Experience with Cloud development and infrastructure
- Experience working with large-volume, low-latency message systems such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, MQTT, NATS, TIBCO Messaging, etc.
- Working knowledge of MySql, Cassandra, Redis, or related relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience supporting a live always-on service
- Familiarity with the architectures and underlying technologies which drive large social networks such as Battle.net, etc.
- A passion for video games and technology
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $121,500.00 - $224,880.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.