Senior Software Engineer - Gameplay Services
6 days ago
We Are EA
And we make games - How cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is challenging. That's why we employ the most creative and passionate people in the industry.
The EA Digital Platform (EADP) group provides central services that help game teams to tap into the power of the global EA ecosystem. Compatible across multiple platforms and devices, our platform empowers teams to foster deeper, more meaningful relationships with our players. The EADP is the foundation on which EA’s games are built. By providing reusable capabilities that game teams can easily integrate into their games, we allow them to focus on making incredible games. These building blocks are made up of high-level service platforms including Cloud, Commerce, Data and AI, Gameplay Services, Identity and Social.
The Challenge Ahead:
Our Gameplay Services platform powers online features for EA’s game titles serving millions of users each day. We live, breathe, and dream about how we can make every player’s multiplayer experience memorable. We develop services and SDKs in collaboration with EA’s game studios for matchmaking, stats and leaderboards, achievements, game replays, VOIP, and game networking. We try to capture the most memorable portions of your experience, such as statistics to compare yourself to other players, achievements you earned during play, and even replays of your own games to share. We build scalable, distributed back-end services that bring functionality to our millions of customers and work on creative improvements to keep our systems at top-notch performance!
What does a Senior Software Engineer do?
As a Senior Software Engineer your primary responsibilities will be to develop our services and acting as a technical leader for the team. Most of your time will be spent developing features and services that promote new and better experiences for our players while optimizing performance, reliability, and scalability of those services. You will build scalable, distributed server-side systems that provide functionality to our millions of customers and work on creative improvements to keep our systems at top-notch performance.
- Design brand new services covering all aspects from storage to application logic to management console
- Enhance and add features to existing systems
- Research and select new best-of-breed technologies to meet challenging requirements
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to junior team members
- Provide input for high-level planning (resource planning, effort estimate, impact/priority/risk/dependency assessment etc.)
- Review designs, demos and documentation to ensure team’s deliverables meets requirement
- Be a part of the full product cycle for our products, from design and testing to deployment and supporting our LIVE environments and our game team customers
- Advocate for best practices within the engineering team
- Communicate with engineers from across the company to deliver the next generation of online features for both established and not-yet-released games
- Continually strive to optimize performance and scalability of server systems
- Work with product managers to innovate on new features to support EA’s business
- Experience with all phases of product development lifecycle, including requirement definition, development, test, and product release
- 8+ years hands-on Java experience
- Experience with stress testing plus performance tuning and optimization
- Excellent debugging and optimization skills working in a multi-threaded environment
- Experience assessing, troubleshooting and mitigating issues in live environments
- Knowledge of high traffic services and highly scalable systems
- Experience with relational or NoSQL database
- Experience with cloud computing technologies such as Envoy, Istio, Kubernetes including auto scaling and elastic load balancing
- Technical leadership and mentoring experience
- Knowledge of gRPC and protobuf
- Knowledge of scalable data storage and processing technologies such as Cassandra, Apache Spark and AWS S3
- Experience working within the games industries
What's In It For YOU? Glad You Asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, RRSP with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes outstanding people to make excellent games, we offer great benefits packages and a culture that is motivated by creativity and individuality.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.