This job might no longer be available.
Senior Software Engineer, Engine Systems - Overwatch
1 month ago
Job Title:Senior Software Engineer, Engine Systems - Overwatch
Soldiers, scientists, adventurers, oddities…engineers! We are the Overwatch team, passionate gamers at heart, and we’re looking for a new hero to help us make Overwatch 2 - the globe-spanning sequel to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed team-based game.
In Overwatch 2, the nations of Earth are under assault. As the omnic forces of Null Sector launch a barrage of surprise attacks around the world, the planet’s governments and militaries prove quickly outmatched—and the remnants of the fearless strike force once known as Overwatch rally to make a valiant stand. Now the world’s heroes must each decide whether to answer the call to reemerge, reunite, and serve as a beacon of hope in a new era of crisis.
We are seeking a talented, motivated, and experienced Senior Engine Systems Engineer who shares our values:
- We take responsibility for delivering our work.
- We collaborate constantly, helping each other to be successful.
- We continuously improve our knowledge, workflows and processes.
- We communicate openly, calling out issues, opportunities, and sharing feedback.
- We have integrity, maintain confidentiality, and share a sense of ownership in our success.
- We have passion for the game, our players, quality work, and technology.
This philosophy, along with the Blizzard values of “Gameplay First” and “Play Nice, Play Fair,” has made Overwatch one of Blizzard's most successful games, and it has forged a bond of trust with our worldwide player community that is extremely important to us.
Our ideal candidate has a passion for games and game engine development across multiple platforms.
The Overwatch Engine team is responsible for many systems, examples include:
- Low-level systems across multiple PC and Console platforms.
- Kernel abstractions
- I/O for resource loading and streaming
- High performance memory-management and tracking
- CPU & GPU performance tools
- Job-systems and threading abstractions
- Scene management
- Scene organization and culling
- Data Storage
- Build and data organization, archiving and delivery
As an engine engineer you would be expected to contribute to, or own, one or more of these areas.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience on at least one shipped title
- C++ and object-oriented design skills
- Experience working with game engines or real-time kernels
- Good understanding of game content pipeline and tools
- Ability to collaborate with technical and non-technical teammates
- Experience with rendering, shader development, and graphics hardware and API's
- Knowledge of animation, camera control, and lighting
- Interest in workflow automation
Please note: If you feel you don’t meet all requirements but are equipped with most, we still encourage you to apply. We welcome the opportunity to open a dialog to be considered.
**Irvine/southern California is preferred, but remote may be considered**
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! At Activision Blizzard, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply .
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com . General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $101,000.00 - $186,754.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.