Senior Software Engineer, Cloud
13 days ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform dedicated to bringing out the best in everyone through competition. As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry, by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The Skillz platform empowers developers to create multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, with the goal of building the home of competition for all.Skillz has earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, and the number-one fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000. www.skillz.com
About the role:
Our team is building the cloud infrastructure and application delivery platform that is powering Skillz engineering. We are leveraging containers, Kubernetes, GitOps practices, and developing cutting edge CI/CD tooling to name a few important areas of development.
What you'll do:
- Designing, implementing, and delivering core platform infrastructure and services to production
- Understanding the needs of Skillz engineering teams and develop tooling to increase development efficiency
- Proactively maintain the availability of Skillz’s cloud infrastructure
- Work closely with engineering teams to constantly improve the stability and observability of all services in the Skillz ecosystem
- Enable and manage seamless upgrades of infrastructure and services through automation
- Leverage container platforms such as Kubernetes for large-scale deployment of microservices
- Design, deploy, and manage Skillz’s infrastructure in public clouds (AWS or GCP)
- Identify, gather, analyze and automate responses to key performance metrics, logs, and alerts
- Ensure infrastructure security compliance
- Disaster recovery planning and regional failover testing
- Automatic scaling of infrastructure and services
- Conduct post-mortems to analyze and prevent repeat failures
- Develop and optimize continuous integration and deployment processes (CI/CD)
- Conduct periodic on-call duties as needed on a regular scheme basis
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Fluent in one or more of Go, Python, Java, or Ruby
- Deep knowledge of containerization and cloud services frameworks in both Kubernetes and AWS
- 4+ years of experience as a DevOps engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure or backend engineering
- Interest in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks.
- Excellent skills in process, documentation, and change management.
- Experience with logging, monitoring, and alerting tools such as New Relic, ELK, Datadog, and PagerDuty
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .