Senior Software Engineer (C++), Game Services - Core
Irvine, CA, United States
4 months ago
The Battle.net & Online Products organization is home to 300+ superpowered engineers, program managers, and designers focused on the technology that powers Blizzard Entertainment’s games. Whether you’re playing one of our titles, chatting with friends, or just shopping online, B&OP ensures that our players are immersed in engaging, exciting, and secure experiences.
Blizzard Entertainment has an opening for a talented and enthusiastic Senior Software Server Engineer to join our Battle.net Game Services (BGS) Core technologies team!
The Game Services Group develops the software, services and infrastructure that keeps millions of players online simultaneously worldwide, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. When a player logs in, sends a friend request, a whisper, or a chat within one of our rich virtual worlds, Game Services powers these capabilities. When you use voice chat, check your profile statistics, or create a new social group, we are the team that makes those things possible. From Overwatch to Hearthstone, StarCraft 2 to Diablo 3, World of Warcraft to Heroes, regardless of the game, time zone, or scale, Game Services is ready to answer the call with effectiveness and professionalism, acting as the central pillar to supercharge all player engagement.
- Develop core technologies for building scalable, resilient and highly available platform services
- Ensure continuous improvement of the tools and processes by which Game Services builds, validates, deploys and monitors services around the world
- Engage internal and external development teams, create relationships and assist with shared initiatives
- Research and implement new technologies and best practices, drive innovation and advancement of core services
- Participate in live operation rotation
- Serve as a mentor to junior engineers
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Advanced understanding of C++
- Prior development work on distributed systems and client/server architectures
- Knowledge of network and server security issues
- Experience with performance analysis and code optimization
- Experience with protocol and API design
- Database development experience (MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, etc.)
- Self-motivated and able to break down complex tasks
- Proficient in at least one scripting language such as Python
- Linux development experience (server applications, gdb debugging, etc.)
- Experience with cloud, virtualization and containerization technologies