Senior Software Engineer (Backend Tech Lead) - Wild Rift
Los Angeles, California, United States
17 days ago
Riot Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many of broader domains. As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As the Technical Lead for Back-end on League of Legends: Wild Rift you will report to the Engineering Manager for Sustainability. (For more info on Wild Rift click here!) You will oversee the technical direction for the entire back-end for a globally scalable, cross-platform suite of services. This includes integration with Riot standard platforms, payment and social systems, and varying infrastructure and compliance requirements. This also includes ensuring we have monitoring and diagnostic capabilities to help us when things go wrong. You will ensure we have a solid technical foundation so when we get to launch at scale, everything goes smoothly.
This is a global and multi-platform product, and you will lead efforts both here in LA and with our primary development partners across the globe. Cross-group collaboration is essential, and some amount of travel will be required.
At Riot, our tech leads are often called on to help with the last mile for a project by being hands-on writing code. As such, we are looking for recent coding experience and a desire to be in the details.
- Set the technical direction and standards for your team
- Lead and contribute to technical design and implementation, using your broad knowledge to guide tough technical decision-making
- Manage the team’s process for delivering high-quality experiences to players, lifting the expertise and skills of people around you
- Have a deep hands-on understanding of, and be accountable for, the quality and maintainability of your team’s code-base
- Working with large sets of varying requirements and driving decisions in the face of ambiguity
- Drive collaboration and alignment with cross-disciplinary and globally dispersed teams
- This role requires some amount of travel (~1 week every 8 weeks)
- 7+ years of experience in Software Engineering, with broad theoretical knowledge and practical application of Software and SRE principles to global-scale distributed systems
- Experience as a Technical Leader with the ability to set technical vision
- Experience with C/C++ programming
- Experience using decision-making frameworks, and an ability in communicating explicit trade-offs, especially in balancing the long-term strategies and short-term tactics
- Experience working on a global scale SaaS game, especially in the journey from production to ship, including with globally dispersed engineering teams
- Experience with Unity or mobile device games
- Experience shipping cross platform console games (Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch)
- Mandarin language fluency would be great
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).