Senior Software Development Engineer (Remote in US)
1 month ago
Multiplayer games are the city-center of digital communities today, and online platforms are the skyscraping feats of engineering that make them possible. Gamebreaking Studios is an experienced team of architects, engineers, and planners working together to build those platforms and fuel the growth of our favorite pastime. Whether a million players are crowding into an indie darling, a planet full of fans are eagerly awaiting features in a generational title, or we're cooking up something new in our back room, our engineers are called upon to make it all happen.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer, you'll continue to grow your expertise in building distributed systems while learning and using whatever breadth of skills are needed to make a game awesome for players. That may include adding functionality in Unreal Engine, automating infrastructure, or something else entirely. We are prepared to craft the role around the right person, whether you’ve been programming for 4 years or for 20. Teaching others first and maintaining a mentorship culture are key ingredients to our success.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the skills listed here. We understand that your qualifications may shine through in different ways and can be based on unique perspectives and experiences.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience with a strongly-typed programming language (C#, Java, C++, or similar)
- Experience writing backend services in an established framework (ASP.NET, Spring, Node.js, or similar)
- Experience with cloud computing and cloud technologies
- Working knowledge of databases
- Passion for video games and technology
- Design infrastructure and services with a mind towards operability and scalability
- Write code that is clear, well-tested, and highly concurrent
- Assist game teams with backend technology choices and follow through with implementation
- Mentor more junior engineers via paired programming and code reviews
- Work with project managers inside and outside our studio to deliver features to players
Our Responsibilities To You
- Encourage healthy working hours, PTO, and a respect for your time
- Foster an environment of equal opportunity, treatment, and inclusion
- Create a fun and playful environment that remains professional and respectful
- Grow our culture positively and meaningfully through a high level of transparency and thoughtful conversation
- Provide opportunities for you to learn and grow
Potential Roles and Growth Paths (Choose One)
- Tech Lead — Lead a tech team through mentorship, setting code standards, and designing and building systems.
- Engineering Lead — Hire, manage, and mentor a small group of engineers while maintaining client relationships and code familiarity.
- Tech Area Expert — Apply subject-matter expertise as a solo strike team focused on solving tech issues, advising client teams, and designing systems in your domain.
- DIY — A small company means big opportunities if you're willing to forge your path, and we're here to support you!
- Full Health Benefits — Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Open PTO
- Fully Remote Work
- Annual Company Retreat
- Stock Options
- Retirement Account Company Match
Gamebreaking Studios is a young, growing, LA-based company founded by technology leaders from around games, entertainment, and software. We found early success providing work-for-hire to other studios and now build everything from end-to-end games to online game platforms to individual feature integrations. We also develop our own games and IP alongside other projects.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.