Senior Service Reliability Engineer
5 months ago
Job Title:Senior Service Reliability Engineer
Want to be responsible for the awesome gaming experience of hundreds of millions of players? How about building a scalable platform that enables key revenue-driving and player engagement features in world-renowned games?
We're looking for a Senior Service Reliability Engineer to join up with the development team in Vancouver that designs, builds, runs, and evolves our in-game social, progression, rewards, and monetization services platforms for the Call of Duty franchise and other popular Activision titles.
The Products department is responsible for the online services product suite that serves the Call of Duty franchise and Activision’s other major titles. We work closely with title project teams at Demonware and the studios to make sure they have the features they need for their upcoming games. We chart a long-term vision for these products to provide the capabilities that enable Activision's game studios to focus on building the best games in the world.
If you’re excited about working with technologies for low-latency, large scale systems in a collaborative environment then we’d love to hear from you!
In this role, you will:
- Be hands-on in shaping and scaling the services that directly enable game features driving revenue and player engagement. You’ll see your contributions influencing our players’ experiences in major ways.
- Level up innovative and scalable services.
- Apply your technical expertise to maximize the scalability and reliability of our services platforms that are built on open-source technologies.
- Be an essential part of a full-service, cross-disciplinary software engineering team, participating in all stages of the development process: technical design, peer reviews, capacity planning, performance optimization, production deployment, and sustainment.
- Investigate and resolve problems at scale for our mission-critical services. Contribute to root cause analysis efforts. Help the team implement fixes and apply what we’ve learned to prevent recurring issues.
- Demonstrate a customer-focused mindset, keeping the success of our game studio partners and an excellent player experience front and center at all times.
- Influence our technology community with your expertise.
- Be a contributing member of the worldwide Demonware engineering community. Bring knowledge and best practices into the team and share your expertise with other teams who will benefit from it.
- Share comprehensive design feedback in the development of new services and service architecture, both with your own team members and with other teams across the company.
- Build long-term working relationships with senior online developers, technical directors, and producers across Activision’s game studios.
- Strengthen the culture of service ownership at Demonware. Engage in mentoring more junior team members to level up this mindset in other engineers.
- 6+ years relevant work experience
- Technical expertise in service scalability and reliability
- Experience optimizing applications that use MySQL, Cassandra, and/or Redis
- Experience working with VMs, Linux containers, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Experience with automated testing frameworks
- Experience working in a business-critical production environment
- Experience delivering within Scrum/Agile development methodologies
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Experience working with high-volume, consumer-facing applications
- Experience with load testing and performance optimization best practices
- Experience working in game economy or social networks
- Instincts for an investigative approach and a curiosity to apply new technologies
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing situations and requirements
- Ownership of initiatives from inception through deployment and sustainment
- Excellence in proactive, open-minded collaboration across teams
What Demonware Offers:
Relocation Support, 25 days of vacation, RRSP matching program and top-tier medical, dental and life insurance coverage for you and your dependents and perks.
Demonware is an independently-run part of Activision Blizzard. We run every part of the players’ online experience, from logging in to matchmaking to climbing the leaderboards, for popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Crash Bandicoot and Skylanders.
The work we do together every day impacts almost half a billion players around the world. We solve big company challenges with a small company feel. We are technology-driven with a culture of openness. This means collaborating to solve interesting challenges, enjoying the freedom to talk to anyone, and always feeling respected. We take the work seriously; ourselves, not so much.