Senior Server Software Engineer
11 days ago
At Bonfire Studios, we believe that games are best when shared with friends. We’re looking for a seasoned Server Engineer to join our nimble team on our journey to create games and immersive worlds that bring players closer together. We have big dreams for vibrant communities of players, and we are seeking a collaborative, motivated, and experienced engineer who is as excited as we are to build highly scalable and performant multiplayer systems and platforms to welcome the world into Bonfire’s first game.
About the role...
- We are a highly collaborative, cross discipline team where every developer’s voice shapes the company, the game, and the tasks we work on each day. Each engineer has areas of responsibility but we avoid technical silos -- we all support and pitch in across the codebase, and the whole is greater than the sum of our parts.
- You’ll wear many hats, have ample opportunity to utilize your prior experience shipping live service multiplayer games, and also be supported in experimenting with new areas of interest to you.
- You will use your keen eye for good game design, high quality bar, and data-oriented design approach to stand up end-to-end platform, social, and meta-progression features, translating creative visions into technical realities that allow content creators to iterate with minimal engineering intervention.
- You’ll be contributing to our flagship title utilizing microservices in GoLang and Unity’s new Data-Oriented Tech Stack in C#. Your additional experience in other platforms, programming languages, and scripting technologies will be appreciated and put to good use.
- Your main focus will be on server and platform development. You will drive end-to-end features, understanding and shaping the player experience, standing up the system architecture needed to bring it to life in-game, gathering feedback from engineers, content creators, and players and utilizing it to iterate and refine your work. However, your ultimate impact on the studio will be unbound; we lean on each other's passions and embrace one another's unique perspectives on game development to help us all grow as a team together. You will have many opportunities to contribute to areas of the game and the company outside your core focus (e.g. data analytics, company infrastructure, networking, build pipelines, team building, leadership, etc.).
You’re interested in this opportunity because you...
- Believe, as we do, that great games are the product of great teams that put their people first.
- Thrive on collaboration and are excited about jumping into a non-hierarchical, peer-supported, and self-directed environment.
- Want to have a large impact while collaborating with other talented developers in a tight knit AAA studio, rolling up your sleeves and using your passions and interests to shape your role at the company.
- Are passionate about players’ social, community, and platform experiences in the games you develop and excited to bring those interactions to life through code.
We’re excited about you because you...
- Have deep experience programming platform, distributed, scalable live service features on shipped titles.
- Collaborate well with developers of all disciplines.
- Are open, humble, eager, and excited about learning and contributing in multiple areas of the studio. Your curiosity propels you to jump in and dive deep on new problems.
- Clearly articulate engineering architectural designs and tradeoffs with fellow engineers and non-technical developers.
You’ll love working at Bonfire because we…
- Are a small, tight-knit group of game developers who are as passionate about our team as we are our game. (Learn more about our team here!)
- Practice candor and feedback, leveling ourselves and each other up in the process.
- Play games and have fun together, kindling our own love for games and learning about each other.
You can learn more about Bonfire's studio culture, team, benefits, and perks on our website: www.bonfirestudios.com