Senior Server Features Engineer
17 days ago
Job Title:Senior Server Features Engineer
Soldiers, scientists, adventurers, oddities…engineers! We are the Overwatch team, passionate gamers at heart, and we’re looking for a new hero to help us make Overwatch 2 - the globe-spanning sequel to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed team-based game.
In Overwatch 2, the nations of Earth are under assault. As the omnic forces of Null Sector launch a barrage of surprise attacks around the world, the planet’s governments and militaries prove quickly outmatched—and the remnants of the fearless strike force once known as Overwatch rally to make a valiant stand. Now the world’s heroes must each decide whether to answer the call to reemerge, reunite, and serve as a beacon of hope in a new era of crisis.
We are seeking a talented, motivated, and experienced Senior Server Features Engineer that shares our values:
- We take responsibility for delivering our work.
- We collaborate constantly, helping each other to be successful.
- We continuously improve our knowledge, workflows and processes.
- We communicate openly, calling out issues, opportunities, and sharing feedback.
- We have integrity, maintain confidentiality, and share a sense of ownership in our success.
- We have passion for the game, our players, quality work, and technology.
This philosophy, along with the Blizzard values of “Gameplay First” and “Play Nice, Play Fair,” has made Overwatch one of Blizzard's most successful games, and it has forged a bond of trust with our worldwide player community that is extremely important to us.
Our ideal candidate has a passion for games and working with designers and artists to bring the visual aspects of the game to life.
- Collaborate with artists, designers, game programmers and fellow server programmers to maintain and implement non-gameplay features. Some examples of non-gameplay features include:
- Custom games
- Player grouping
- Integration with Battle.net
- Support and improve the live service, with a focus on reliability and performance.
- Architect features to improve server reliability, performance and uptime
- Perform research to acquire new knowledge necessary to perform assigned tasks and maintain a process of technological evolution
- Mentor and educate engineers on the team
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience
- Shipped at least one AAA title as a sever engineer
- Advanced understanding of C / C++
- Extensive networking experience
- Prior development work on distributed systems and client/server architectures
- Knowledge of network and server security issues
- Linux / Unix experience
- Excellent communications skills
- Self-motivated, strong sense of independence
- Passion for video games, especially FPS games
- A degree in computer science, or a related field
- Experience with transaction processing systems
- Database experience (Relational or NoSQL)
- Enthusiastic about working in a collaborative DevOps environment
- Previous experience mentoring software engineers
- Avid Overwatch player