Senior Server Engineer
4 days ago
Future Games of London is seeking a talented Senior Server Engineer with experience and expertise in implementing and running massively scalable backend services for games/applications. Reporting to the Lead Server Engineer, the main responsibilities of the Senior Server Engineer would be to contribute to design and then implement key modules for the backend. The ideal candidate will be capable of drawing on experience that will permit us to avoid pitfalls in backend design, delivering reliable and scalable solutions.
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Open minded and humble
- Flexible and adaptable to unfolding project needs
- Interested in gaming
- Passion for high-volume concurrent systems!
- Take ownership and acting as the point of contact for tasks assigned to them
- Demonstrate initiative and implement features as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Deliver features to the level of quality expected of a world class developer
- Assist in defining tasks in sprint planning
- Assist the Lead Server Engineer in writing technical design documents
- Participate in code reviews
- Promote good programming practices
- Take ownership of existing modules, extending and refactoring them.
- Proficient in either Kotlin or Java, alongside familiarity with the other (JS, C#, Python)
- Proficient in usage of AWS; including EC2, EB, DynamoDB, Cloudwatch, etc.
- Practical knowledge of Pulsar, Kafka or alternative technology
- Hands on experience of Docker and K8
- Strong debugging skills, proven in micro-services architecture
- A good understanding of the challenges involved in scaling services across multiple regions
- Can breakdown and estimate tasks accurately
- Analysis of existing modules of reasonable complexity and extend it within given time constraints
- Experience in source control solutions, preferably git.
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision
- A degree in Computer Science or the equivalent in experience
- 3+ years of experience of programming in either Java or node.js environments
- Worked on and maintained a SaaS solution with 200K+ DAU that operated in LiveOps for at least a year
- Worked in an Agile environment
- Shipped at least 1 mobile network game with 200k+ DAU as a server engineer
- Exposure to CI pipelines, especially Jenkins
- Developed server solutions for synchronous and/or asynchronous multiplayer games
- Familiarity with Unity3D and good understanding of network related challenges/limitations for client software
COVID 19 note:
Both Ubisoft and FGOL are committed to the health and wellbeing of our staff. We are currently working remotely during the stages of lockdown the UK has been subject to. Our offices have been set up to meet strict health and safety standards appropriate to the challenges of COVID 19, and we currently keep any physical attendance to a minimum. Our policies are constantly reviewed and may change over time as the risk level varies.
Ubisoft FGOL offers its employees some great benefits which include:
- Flexible office working hours
- 25 days of annual leave + 8 UK Bank holiday + Christmas company day(s) off
- 1 day off if you get married (Wedding Day)
- Mobile and Tablet Allowance
- Game Allowance
- Duvet Day
- Personal Travel Allowance
- Home Office Furniture Loan Scheme
- Sick pay
- Training Budgets
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare, Reduced gym membership, life insurance, critical illness & Disability cover
- Childcare vouchers
- Season ticket loan (for tube/rail costs)
- Profitability bonus
- Recruitment Referral Fee awards
Future Games of London is a Ubisoft studio that designs, develops and operates free-to-play mobile and digital console games. Founded in September 2009, FGOL create original and unique games such as the Hungry Shark series which has been enjoyed by over half a billion people worldwide.
We are a dedicated team with drive, passion and creativity, who enjoy being part of a forward thinking studio in an exciting and ever-evolving industry.
Over the next 5 years, we expect to be typically developing two to three projects in parallel, with regularly scheduled new releases added to our catalogue.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.