This job might no longer be available.
Senior Server Software Engineer - Maxis
Redwood City California United States
8 months ago
Senior Server Engineer
Location: Redwood Shores, CA
Creativity, collaboration, and communication are what make us tick as we prepare ourselves for massive amounts of growth and an incredible amount of fun. We want to engage our players and create the most entertaining life simulation games in the world. Come and see for yourself, the future is here. https://www.ea.com/studios/maxis
We are looking for someone who will design, build, deploy, and run scalable and stable server architectures for connected functionality in our most popular games and our newest unannounced IP. The engineer will work as part of a game team to create and refine game server frameworks and contribute to the design and implementation of launch and post-launch strategies and technologies.
You will report to the Development Director - Central Online/Web Tech.
As a Server Software Engineer for a game at Maxis, you will:
- Help design, develop, and run fast, massively scalable, readily available game services all the way from conception to delivery to live service operations
- Work with designers, client engineering, and production teams to achieve gameplay goals that are supported by the service
- Provide solutions that address network latency, reliability, and scalability issues
- Implement security best practices and original techniques to keep user data secure and prevent cheating
- Be held to high quality standards through technical guidance and mentoring
- Create and run automated testing, readiness testing, and deployment plans
- Monitor the performance and costs of the server infrastructure to drive CI
- Worked on at least two live-service games that are in the market now, or 6+ years development of scalable back-end services
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Understand Java Server Environment and familiarity with frameworks such as Guice/Spring
- Deep experience with Cloud services like Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud
- Experience designing and managing service fleets based on container technologies (i.e. Docker, Linux-VServer, Kubernetes, Apache Mesos, Docker Swarm, etc)
- Experience with Database Design and caching and usage of large datasets in both relational (MySQL, Postgres) and NoSQL (Cassandra, Hadoop, DynamoDB etc) environments
- Understand different networking technologies, protocols (TCP/IP, HTTP, REST)
- You will be a be part of a live team, with rapid responses to urgent issues
- Experience shipping games built with Unreal or Unity is good to have.
- Experience managing NoSQL services
- Proficiency in Linux, commands, and operating against live environment
- Conscious of server operating costs. Being aware of the cost of running live servers, and eager to provide insights to minimize those expenses
- Experience running scripts and queries against live environment to get data or fix data when needed.