Senior, R&D Lamination Process Engineer AR/VR
10 days ago
Senior R&D Lamination Process Engineer
In this position you will be a member of the Eyepiece Process R&D team and will be heavily involved in R&D, engineering, and precision prototyping. The successful candidate will be responsible for producing high precision prototype parts by programming, setting up, and operating tools and equipment; maintaining quality and safety standards; keeping records; maintaining equipment and supplies; evaluating and implementing new and existing processes in R&D & manufacturing environments. Candidates must be highly innovative, and enjoy working in a dynamic and creative environment within a multidisciplinary team.
- Ownership and development of lamination processes, tools and materials focused on the stacking of glass and glass-like layers as well as other flexible and/or non-flexible films including optically functional layers, pressure sensitive adhesives, etc.
- Utilize processes and tools to design, manufacture, and test prototype components and assemblies.
- Verify process and tooling through high precision measurement, often working and creating the measurement process, fixture, and program alongside the primary process.
- Designs experiments, executes, and writes report to help make design and process decisions.
- Fabricates small quantities of prototype assemblies, and guides technicians in fabricating medium quantities.
- Benchmark other industry processes. Develop, implement and refine prototype manufacturing processes on preliminary manufacturing and process equipment.
- Maintains equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, and initiating repairs.
- Create and maintain specifications and documentation for processes developed and utilized.
- Drives hand-off of well-defined processes to high volume manufacturing teams.
Required Skills & Experience
- Lamination or CNC assembly
- Viewing AutoCAD files
- Hands-on with machinery or product prototypes
- Creating and executing experiments using data-driven analysis to derive conclusions and set next-step actions, both at single experiment and larger-programmatic levels.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Roll-to-roll (R2R) web handling and converting used for lamination process, and/or surface mount technology (SMT), a.k.a. pick-and-place (PNP) process and machinery
- Process engineering, especially in a research and development (R&D) environment; creating new processes
- Material and adhesive selection
- Working with and modifying 2D and 3D CAD files, especially AutoCAD or similar.
- Providing input for manufacturing equipment design.
- Manufacturing process for VR/AR/MR devices or similar (ie, mobile phones, displays, circuit boards, etc.)
- Transition and hand-off between R&D prototypes to high-volume manufacturing.
- Active alignment of optical components.
- Creation, execution and analysis of Design of Experiments (DOEs) for process improvement, material selection or similar using statistical evaluation methods and/or software.
- JMP, especially applied to evaluating, comparing and analyzing data to drive next-step decisions for experiments, process or materials improvements, DOEs, etc.
- Takes initiative, and searches for information and new solutions.
- Willing to work onsite at R&D facility and inside cleanroom for 50+% of time.
- Interest in augmented reality and/or knowledge of AR/VR/MR display architecture.
- Adhesive dispense process and systems
Education & Experience
B.S. or M.S. in engineering or related science field and 5+ years industry experience OR Ph.D. in engineering or related science field and 2+ years industry experience
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.