6 days ago
Lab42 is a best-in-class cross-platform game developer based in Leamington Spa, UK. Since our founding as a small indie studio, our headcount has grown into a team full of talented, experienced people supported by a veteran management team with backgrounds from SEGA, Codemasters and EA.
As well as working on our own IP, we also offer co-development services to a growing list of clients, including Paradox, SEGA and Curve Digital. We work on some of the best titles around, such as Call of Duty, Crusader Kings, Yakuza, Star Wars Racer and much more, without losing touch with the anti-crunch and people-first values our studio was founded upon.
As winners of the GI Biz Best Places to Work award for the past 3 years running, our studio benefits from a friendly, supportive and empowering team culture. We encourage professional growth, while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Lab42 is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, and we embrace all the elements that make our team unique. We’re an inclusive studio and welcome applications from qualified applicants of any background, regardless of race, age, disability, gender identity or neurodiversity.
What is the job?
Lab42 Games are looking to recruit a Senior Programmer with an interest in developing towards Lead Programmer to bring excellent experience and tackle tough programming problems. From estimating tasks to writing code, and from mentoring junior coders to participating in daily stand ups, a Senior Programmer will have the opportunity to shape the technical direction of projects as they work with a range of highly regarded IPs and external partners on many different platforms.
Who are we looking for?
This is a senior level role, with a strong expectation of experience within the games industry. You will be expected to be hands-on with code, implementing features and being involved with bug fixing on a day to day basis.
You will be relied upon to be pro-active in looking for technical solutions to potential problems with code before they cause lasting issues. You will need to be self-motivated and capable of working with minimal supervision, but you will be expected to feed back periodically to Lead Programmers and the Technical and Development Directors
We're open to this person being based in-studio position or operating in a hybrid model (2 weeks in, 2 weeks out).
- Write high quality code that can be delivered on time
- Work on a wide variety of projects and tasks in various engines and languages
- Have the opportunity to mentor and develop more junior members of the team
- Work with Lead Programmers and Producers to plan your own work and contribute to the planning of work for your team
- Have the opportunity to liaise with other disciplines and teams within the studio and external partners to facilitate development
- Work with a team to deliver regular, testable builds
- Have the opportunity to interview candidates for programming roles within the studio
- Adhere to and assist in devising programming best practices and standards
- Be given the opportunity to develop the skills required to lead a team
The role requires:
- Professional experience of working on shipped games
- Excellent knowledge of C++
- Experience of working with C#
- An understanding of working with the command line (e.g. git bash, working with linux over ssh, batch files)
- A working understanding of different consoles and/or game streaming platforms, in addition to PC development
- Experience of writing technical documentation, to document investigations, approaches, and features
- Experience of working in either Unreal Engine or Unity
- Experience of working with breaking down high level tasks into smaller pieces of work
- Amateur experience of working on games in addition to your professional experience if you have, for example, relatively recently transitioned into games from other software development, and don’t have a large number of shipped titles behind you
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
Why should you work at Lab42?
Lab42 was founded upon a people-first, anti-crunch culture, and we’ve stayed true to those values through all of our growth and success. Now part of the Sumo Digital family of studios, we enjoy all of the benefits and comradery of being part of a large games development organisation, without losing the friendly and flexible working environment that makes Lab42 a great place to work.
As part of Lab42, you’ll be able to work on both original IPs and some of the biggest and best games around – without having to sleep at your desk! Instead, we encourage a harmonious work-life balance that allows you to spend time with family and friends, while still enjoying a career in an exciting industry.
We believe in providing opportunities for internal career progression, and there is plenty of room to grow and fulfill your potential at Lab42. By prioritising the happiness and wellbeing of our staff, we have been joined by many industry veterans, and are proud to be a studio where people chose to stay, develop and grow through their Game Development careers.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.