Senior Product Designer
4 days ago
ustwo is looking for a senior product designer to join our design team in the London studio. We are a global studio committed to making a measurable positive impact on people's everyday lives through the products we make. We’re renowned for crafting amazing digital experiences - to do this, we work across the entire product lifecycle; from visioning and discovery, validating propositions through to launching products and services that are valuable to both users and businesses. We have a lasting and transformative effect on the businesses and organisations we work with.
As a Product Designer at ustwo you will be involved in all stages of the product development process, from brainstorming business challenges and concepts right through to iterating fidelity of the UI up to launch. Using your full range of design skills to help push the boundaries of what is possible. The role of design within the product development process is ever-evolving; a solution that both delights and engages the user often means being prepared for trade-offs to ensure that the right product goes to market.
This role will be based in the London studio in Shoreditch at 154-158 Shoreditch High Street E1 6HU. We currently have a hybrid policy in which you are required to be in the studio on our universal day on Tuesdays and are welcome to either work from the studio or from home for the rest of the week. Our design team has committed to also coming into the studio on a Thursday too. We are keen for you to be involved in studio culture so the more you can get involved in opportunities for in-person social interaction; the better!
- Explore and communicate design concepts for digital products through artefacts like sketches, user flows, wireframes, and high-fidelity prototypes.
- Validate design concepts by eliciting user feedback, measuring usability, considering market analysis and balance against technical constraints/opportunities.
- Use prototyping tools to convey movement and functionality of concepts whilst also creating moments of delight.
- Create ‘looks like/works like’ prototypes that help tell a project’s story with industry-standard design, prototyping and handover tools.
- Engage clients, stakeholders and your team to ensure your proposed design fits business goals and technical constraints in addition to user needs.
- Understand and (where appropriate) challenge business requirements to champion user needs, as a way to further promote product and market strategy.
- Facilitate and participate in workshops and discussions to promote the communication of ideas.
- Participate in design research, user research and validation testing.
- Partner side-by-side with engineers to bring designs to life and to quickly resolve challenges.
- Bring systems thinking in order to create robust design systems that can scale effectively.
- Work within but also adapt and evolve a client’s brand to current digital standards.
Aside from having a portfolio that demonstrates breadth of cross-platform work, core craft skills and design process, you are;
- A Design Generalist: Whilst you may have developed a specialism you have a range of typography, layout and information visualisation skills with a working understanding of lean design processes, iterative prototyping using common design software.
- A critical design thinker: Able to make the distinction between “good” and “great” work and can design flows and experiences that are intuitive and delightful. You have developed a point of view about your work.
- Current in your practice: You have a good working understanding in user-centred design, testing, research usability principles, techniques and methodologies. You keep up with the latest trends in design and technology.
- Highly Collaborative: Able to work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams of designers, developers and product managers using Agile and Lean principles.
- Passionate about innovating through design: Bringing original thinking, strong design practice and advocating for the user.
- Think holistically about the big picture when designing a product: whilst being detail oriented and delivery focused.
- A clear communicator: Capable conveying ideas and breakdown concepts clearly to a diverse range of stakeholders (verbally and written).
- Open to sharing: Whether that be your thoughts, ideas and work in-progress.
- Want to grow: You seek out opportunities to learn, advocating good feedback with those who you work with.
- Resilient: Can handle pressure and work in a dynamic and fast-moving environment.
- Adaptable: You thrive in ambiguity and are comfortable switching contexts and able to apply design practice across a range of industries and different deliverables and goals.
- Able to travel: from time to time, when required and with advance planning.
Our Senior salary bandings are £50k-75k depending on experience. Our full benefits package is available to all permanent employees, please see further details here.
Interested but think your experience doesn’t perfectly align with this job description? That’s ok. Research shows underrepresented groups in particular are less inclined to apply for jobs where they don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed. We’d still love to hear from you if you feel passionate about this role! We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our colleagues, clients, community, and the users of our products. We don’t have all the answers but we’re on a journey, and we are learning together.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
ustwo combines expertise in product and service development, ventures and gaming to make a meaningful impact on the challenges companies and individuals face in contemporary culture.
Over the years, we have been carving out a reputation in the space between digital product development and new experience design.
Our deep product development knowledge, our design heritage and our leadership at the edges of technology and culture, means we are capable of providing fresh creative and strategic direction on genuinely new experiences, as well as deep technical expertise on implementation - never disconnecting strategy from implementation.
This combination of capabilities is rare and valuable, particularly in a market that’s seeing ever-increasing convergence of entertainment, gaming, content, commerce, and platforms.