Senior Product Designer, Player Experience
11 days ago
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for a booming mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with access to fun and fair competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make esports accessible to anyone, anywhere.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 20,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host billions of casual esports tournaments for 30 million players worldwide.
Last year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000, and in May 2021, Skillz was awarded “ Best Places to Work ”.
Who we're looking for:
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to own and create the UX/UI for competitive mobile gaming experiences. This high-visibility team is the bread and butter of Skillz. We make UI for the SDK that is in thousands of games, played by over a half million people a day (and growing!)
Do you have a great design eye? Can you design amazing user-centered UX? Do you ask why and then ask why again? Are you a proactive problem solver who seeks challenges and fights for the user? Have you designed mobile apps or games that make users say woo-hoo (and can you write better copy than this?)
What You'll Do:
- Work end-to-end, tackling complex user needs from sketching to low and high fidelity prototypes
- Own feature designs that create engaging and immersive mobile experiences across multiple device types on iOS & Android
- Leverage solid design rationale to create intuitive platform experiences that engages and delights players
- Gain a deep understanding of our target users through observations, research, and analytics so that you can champion their needs
- Be the champion of our target users by deeply understanding their needs through observations, research, and analytics
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and other designers to incorporate feedback and uncover compelling design solutions
- Think about design as a system, contributing to and maintaining our design system in order to influence quality and efficiency for all our teams and products
- 4+ years of professional experience as a UX or Product Designer
- Mobile design experience for iOS and Android
- Portfolio that showcases sound product thinking and strong design rationale through navigation, user flows, interaction design, and information architecture
- Portfolio that demonstrates strong understanding of how users engage with the aesthetics of a product through the use of typography, color, imagery, layout, and grid systems
- Ability to manage deadlines and collaborate in a cross functional environment
- Capable of supporting your designs with strong rationale, research, and effective communication
- Experienced in using various design software including Figma, Sketch, Invision, and Adobe CS
- Experience with motion design and animation is a plus
Along with your resume, please include links to your portfolio work that best represents your design process.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.