Senior / Principal Encounter Designer
9 days ago
At Elodie Games, we believe that games are better when you play them with friends. We build endlessly engaging experiences while striving to eliminate all barriers that get in the way of to playing together. Cross-play is etched into the DNA of everything we build so that no matter what platform you’re on, you’ll get a first-class experience. We’re a diverse team of industry professionals who love games and fuel each other's creativity. As an early member of the team, you’ll have the rare opportunity to explore broad areas of game development, learn new skills, and shape our first game.
As a Senior Encounter Designer, you will be responsible for the development of high-quality multiplayer mission and dungeon content experiences. You will leverage your design expertise and deep knowledge of gameplay systems, creature development, and AI scripting to develop compelling co-op PVE content across different levels of challenge and complexity, from new player to hardcore endgame experiences.
- Responsible for design and implementation of creatures and encounters for game content
- Drive initial exploration, prototyping, pipeline development, and implementation of end-game encounters
- Own creature, boss, and encounter development from paper design to final implementation, including implementing or scripting AI combat behaviors and abilities
- Design, iterate, and improve on PvE content systems such as enemy abilities, behaviors, AI, and object interactions (hazards, traps, and other objects)
- Collaborate with gameplay engineering to develop the core components, blueprints, modules, and tools we need to develop creatures and behavior/ability kits
- Communicate regularly with level designers, artists, narrative designers, and engineers to direct and support the multiplayer encounter and dungeon content pipeline
- Leverage constructive feedback and player data to iterate upon encounter design
- Examples of shipped real-time multiplayer gameplay content for which you were the primary designer, examples of dungeons, raids, and/or multiplayer bosses are preferred
- Experience scripting to build encounters, boss stages, and events
- Deep content development genre expertise in at least one of the following: ARPGs, JRPGs, and MMOs
- Experience using Unreal state machines and blueprints to develop encounters, creatures, and behaviors
- 5+ years of industry experience in a Game Design role
- Experience leading a team of encounter designers and developing product standards for encounter and dungeon designs
Elodie Games has embraced a remote-first model. If you're someone who prefers a dedicated workspace, we've got you covered with our beautiful office in sunny Venice, CA. If you'd prefer to work from home some or all of the time, you can choose to do so.
Elodie Games is proud to offer the following benefits:
- Competitive compensation including salary and equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Relocation assistance
- Holidays and an open PTO policy
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.