This job might no longer be available.
Senior Platform Engineer
6 months ago
Founded in 2007, Lumos Labs is the leader in brain training. Over 100 million users have used our Lumosity application to train their cognitive skills, playing our games over 6 billion times. We are now applying our unique approach to building scientifically-validated, delightfully fun, and deeply engaging products to other aspects of brain health and wellness. We are incubating multiple “seed-stage startups” within the company, in areas like creativity, mindfulness, emotional intelligence, and more. We are building one of the premiere digital health brands and are looking for talented, mission-oriented people to join us on the journey.
Lumos is looking for a senior engineer to join our Core Services team. This group is tasked with maintaining the majority of backend systems that support the core Lumosity brain-training application, as well as providing the tooling and building blocks for all of the new apps we aim to build this year and in the future. We are looking for an experienced Platform Engineer who has helped build and scale service backends before.
- Help build the future of Lumosity and its apps by breaking down a monolithic Rails app into constituent services, influenced by microservice patterns.
- Have the opportunity to cross-train with engineers focusing on data and infrastructure systems. In fact, collaborating with these teams is a necessity from day one.
- Not only be working on greenfield projects. We’re extremely proud of many parts of our architecture, as well as many parts that are simply currently locked up in larger systems where they no longer make sense.
- Design, build, and maintain performant, reusable, scalable, and reliable code.
- Think about and recommend long term platform changes to ensure scalability.
- Proactively identify areas for improvement in the software and products.
- Identify and correct performance bottlenecks and fix bugs.
- Contribute to efforts to maintain code quality.
- Break down work into manageable pieces and recommend ways to parallelize the implementation effort.
- Offer input into team process discussions.
- Proactively help teammates when needed.
- Significant experience developing and/or maintaining a Rails application at Internet scale.
- The ability to build complex features because you’ve been doing it for quite a while.
- Thorough knowledge of four of the following: Ruby, Rails, Go, React, Redis, Memcached, Nginx, MySQL.
- A mindset where you feel that we can only accomplish our goals together.
- A desire to make your fellow engineers working on product features as productive and happy as possible.
- Competitive compensation, including salary and benefits on par with later-stage companies and equity compensation on par with earlier-stage ones.
- The excitement and fun of the early-stage startup paired with the maturity and stability of a later-stage business with substantial revenue and company infrastructure.
- An egoless environment that fosters collaboration of all types. We have a culture of ownership, trust, camaraderie, and fun.
- A focus on sustainability - in our products, our business, and for our employees.
- A culture that values coming together and sharing our varied interests to illuminate new and inspiring ideas, all with a focus on helping our users make meaningful improvements in their lives.
- The opportunity to learn, grow, and bond with a tight community of co-workers based in SF, and with teammates around the world (NY, Portland, Minnesota, Brazil, Serbia, Ukraine, India).
- All of the perks that one would expect from a modern-day SF tech company.