Senior Physics Programmer
5 days ago
Senior physics programmers are responsible for designing, implementing and tuning game physics systems with minimal guidance, and providing technical support and mentoring to more junior members of staff. The Senior Physics Programmer will report to a lead programmer in the code team.
Senior physics programmers will also be proactive in dealing with other disciplines to resolve problems quickly and elicit clear requirements and translate them into flexible reusable solutions. As well as solving challenging new technical problems, a senior physics programmer will have an excellent understanding of best-practice and standard techniques within game physics and will keep up to date on innovations within the industry. The role will also involve educating and advising users of the game physics systems in order to help them create high quality physics assets for the game.
- Deliver high quality game physics systems using appropriate levels of abstraction
- Identify and debug technical problems quickly and efficiently
- Prioritise, plan and manage the time of assigned tasks with minimal oversight
- Help define the technical direction and develop innovative solutions for difficult physics problems
- Help mentor junior members of the physics programming team, and communicate clearly with other team members and teams with minimal external help
- Help educate and support other teams to correctly and efficiently use physics systems
- Use appropriate data structures and algorithms to maximize efficiency (for both development time and runtime performance)
- Be vigilant for and report new problems, delays and risks to the appropriate lead/director
- Request support from higher levels when required
- Strong C++ programming and debugging skills
- Excellent practical understanding of physics concepts
- Understanding of the performance trade-offs for physics systems
- Experience with PhysX or an equivalent physics middleware solution
- Able to tune physics systems based on high level design input with minimal assistance
- Strong communication skills, and comfortable working across teams and mentoring staff.
- Extensive algorithm and data structure skills (including time and space complexity and real world vs theoretical performance)
- Able to understand and utilize multi-threading primitives
- Able to understand and utilize high level networking concepts
- Capable of reading and quickly understanding complex code
- Self-motivated and driven to creatively solve problems.
- Able to plan the work to build an entire sub-system including external dependencies with minimal input
- Videogame programming experience on physics systems, including having shipped at least one AAA PC/console title.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, high growth, start-up company environment
- Ability to work full-time based in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Bachelor’s degree with a Computer Science/Software Engineering/Physics focus or similar experience
Build A Rocket Boy is developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure.
We are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time. We’re a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then come join us. We have offices in Edinburgh, Budapest and consider WFH candidates.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.