Senior Payroll Analyst
1 month ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross , Susan G. Komen , American Cancer Society , and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators , San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work , Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance , Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies , a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50 , one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups , and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For:
Under the direction of the Senior Payroll Manager, the Senior Payroll Analyst is responsible for the administration of the day to day payroll operations and accuracy of the payroll system to deliver the company’s semi-monthly and bi-weekly payrolls. The Senior Payroll Analyst will act as backup for the Senior Payroll Manager, be a resource to employees, and perform related duties as required.
What You Will Do :
- Audit data integrity between HRIS and ADP Payroll to ensure both systems are in sync
- Audit payrolls bi-weekly cycles before payrolls are released for processing
- Process garnishments, unemployment wage claims and other tax tracers as needed
- Work closely with internal staff and vendors to ensure HR, benefit, and payroll changes are processed
- Partner with the Senior Payroll Manager, HR, and Accounting team in processing payrolls
- Partner with internal and external business partners to test new functional system enhancements, system updates, and integrations
- Lead year-end process to ensure a smooth year-end to provide accurate W2s
- Identify and participate in process improvement projects, including various implementation and upgrades
- Monitor email inquiries from the payroll@ contacts and respond to employees as necessary
- Ensure accurate funding occurs for all accounts, tax remittance, general ledger balancing, month-end close, and Management Reporting is completed in a timely manner
- Assist Senior Payroll Manager with annual audits such as 401k and workers’ compensation
- Work with the team to provide guidance in payroll processes and provide feedback to improve payroll processes
- Work closely with the team to provide excellent customer service
- Participate in payroll projects and opportunities as assigned
- 6+ years of payroll experience and knowledgeable of wage and hourly laws
- High proficiency in MS Excel including advanced formulas functions (vlookups, pivot tables, IF statements)
- Experience with accounting processes and month-end close, including reconciliations as it relates to payroll
- Working knowledge with ADP Workforce Now
- Experience with federal, state, local statutory and workers’ compensation payroll audits
- Knowledge of SOX controls
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong ability to maintain confidentiality to payroll and other employees’ personal information
- CPP certification a plus
- Experience in a lead role a plus
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.