Senior Outsource Artist
5 days ago
Psyonix is a video game developer best known for Rocket League, the award-winning game that combines soccer, driving, and highly competitive gameplay. As part of the Epic Games family, we are an industry-leading game studio rooted in a crunch-free philosophy that emphasizes an amazing employee experience, located in the heart of San Diego. For nearly 20 years, we have been a driving force behind some of the most successful games in the industry, including Gears of War, Mass Effect 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Bulletstorm, Unreal Tournament III and Unreal Tournament 2004.
What makes us Epic?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating. Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What You'll Do
Psyonix is searching for an experienced Senior Outsourcing Artist to support and supervise creative content provided by outsource partners. The Senior Outsourcing Artist will provide front-line creative feedback for work submitted for review. The ideal candidate would be a talented artist who is able to communicate with outsource partners, including documenting existing pipelines, collecting or creating quality bar and technical example assets, collecting photo reference, creating asset blockouts, creating simple blockout paint overs, and finally packaging all files to send off to the external artists.
In This Role You Will
- Work with the Art Leads and Director level to establish visual direction for our outsourcing vendors
- Collect or generate detailed documentation, video reference, and examples of art asset production, procedures, and engine requirements to support the external vendors
- Clearly communicating feedback to the outsource partner, and ensuring those creative notes and goals are met
- Communicate cross-discipline with artists, level designers, game designers, and production to understand needs and goals of props being created
- Make any needed fixes to keep assets consistent and technically game ready as they’re handed off from the outsource partner
- Provide prototype meshes with accurate scale and pivot placement, with understanding of the technical constraints, including vert count management, material setup, and PBR texture creation
- Train outsource partner artists in Psyonix's specific techniques and best practices
- Foster remote teams enthusiasm for the project
- Work with internal stakeholders and or IP owners on licensed asset approvals
What We're Looking For
- Experience in shipping AAA titles across multiple platforms
- Experienced shipping production assets for games
- Strong understanding of latest toolsets in game art creation, including (but not limited to) Unreal Engine, Substance Painter, Marmoset, Perforce, and 3D modeling packages
- Must be highly organized, self-driven, customer focused, and a great team player
- Ability to critique, mentor, and improve art through written feedback loops
- A keen understanding of technical hurdles, ability to autonomously make choices to further art quality, and excellent communication skills are a must
- Experienced working within a team and a high pressure production environment
- You’re user-focused, passionate, solutions-focused, and innovative
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay for 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k.
All Epic employees enjoy drinks, snacks, and lunches every day, free of charge - and we offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love we have for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!
Like what you hear? Come be part of something Epic!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.