This job might no longer be available.
Senior Online Engineer - Sledgehammer Games
15 days ago
Job Title:Senior Online Engineer - Sledgehammer Games
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Melbourne, Australia – we’re the videogame development team behind Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty®: WWII . Since our founding in 2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our talented employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
As we head into decade II of development, we’re focused on constantly evolving, innovating and taking risks – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class audio, design, engineering and art teams, we’ve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we’re looking for talented game developers for our exciting next project.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it’s like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
As an Online Engineer you will create the features that connect our users. You will work with game designers and gameplay engineers to prototype, design, implement, and optimize the transmission and storage of the data that drives our games.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Build the server-side components of in-game features
- Create and maintain client libraries that expose online features to gameplay and UI engineers
- Optimize multiplayer netcode and data payloads
- Collaborate with game designers and DevOps engineers to determine optimal solutions
- Document technical designs and instructions
- Instrument and analyze telemetry during development and LiveOps timeframes
- Bachelor's degree or relevant discipline
- 5+ years of industry experience as an online engineer
- Solid C/C++ skills
- Familiar with Python
- Proficient with debugging real-time applications
- Understanding of network, multi-threaded and concurrent programming
- Experience maintaining security of server endpoints and systems
- Collaborates and communicates across disciplines
- History working with Windows development and run-time environments
- Passion for developing high quality games
- Basic experience with databases
- Shipped 1-2 games
- Developed on Microsoft, Sony, and/or Steam platforms
- Experience with large telemetry systems
- History working with Linux development and run-time environments
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty ®, World of Warcraft® , Overwatch ®, Diablo ®, Candy Crush ™ and Bubble Witch ™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Sledgehammer Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.