We are a tight-knit team, with a sociable culture and a strong team identity whilst being able to experience all the benefits that come from being part of NaturalMotion and Zynga. The team crafts world-leading, mid-core games on a foundation of trust and camaraderie.
In 2018, 2019 and 2020, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
JOB PURPOSE :
We are looking for an experienced client Network Engineer to work on our new UE4 Star Wars game. We are looking for an engineer who excels at networking and multiplayer systems work for games, including real-time Unreal Engine client-server multiplayer networking and communications to general server services. You will have opportunities to contribute at both a systems level and a gameplay level.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- You will help drive the design and implementation of underlying networking systems, building on the functionality of the Unreal Engine and our own server services
- We are a close-knit team, and you will collaborate to create systems for both real-time gameplay and massively multiplayer events and progression
- Ensuring the creation of well-designed, adaptable, and testable software, including some work on automated tests
- Working with both the UE4 client-server architectures and our internal Central Tech SDKs
- Gathering and sharing knowledge across our Action Strategy Group
Required Experience & Skills
- You have developed and released multiple games with Unreal, and at least two games as a client multiplayer network coder
- You have deep experience with C++, plus a thorough understanding of low level comms libraries and associated threading challenges
- You are a good authority when it comes to network systems engineering
- You document your code with concise overview descriptions and guides
- Have good understanding of system design patterns, memory/performance optimisation, and how to document knowledge
Desirable Experience & Skills
- Experience with real-time multiplayer games
- Experience of live game incident resolution
- You have worked on action or strategy games in the past
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga class
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
Natural Motion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.