Senior Narrative Writer, Wild Rift
24 days ago
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As Narrative Writers at Riot, we work directly with Editors and product teams to create excellent content for our players. We are responsible for the quality of our written words, regardless of the format in which they are delivered, and pushing the boundaries of what is possible with the tech and tools we have available to us. We lean on years of experience to help build some of the most globally iconic characters and worlds in gaming. We use our craft expertise to enrich the players’ immersive experience of Riot’s intellectual properties, across a wide range of media.
As a Senior Narrative Writer on the Wild Rift team, you will report to a creative manager in Shanghai, while liaising closely with the League Studio Narrative team on Creative eXpressions, in Los Angeles. You will create new skinline thematics that will surprise and delight players across the world, as well as adding to successful existing thematics - and eventually help to establish a robust pipeline for the creation of brand new champions in Wild Rift. You will work with your product leads and other creatives in Shanghai to stay aligned on vision and priorities. You will proactively seek opportunities to improve collaboration and IP co-development between Shanghai and Los Angeles, especially with regard to maintaining a consistent quality of writing between Mandarin and English.
As a Rioter in China, you'll join a team of internationally and culturally diverse professionals that share our prioritization of player experience, rejection of convention and maniacal passion for gaming.
To reinforce Riot’s collaborative culture in our China offices, we’ve decided to do away with the constraints of traditional hierarchical title structures that are more common in the region. Titles don’t really matter at any of Riot’s offices, but we chose to take this extra step in our China offices to foster a space where teamwork thrives. We believe that removing this constraint will promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and a focus on results. We promise you won’t need a title at Riot to make an impact.
- Confirm and align the Narrative direction for Wild Rift products, in collaboration with appropriate stakeholder/s
- Execute narrative craft in Mandarin-first game VO and written content to the agreed direction, quality standards, and schedule
- Manage and communicate progress with your product team, and the wider Writing & Editing discipline - especially within League Studio in Los Angeles
- Maintain good working relationships within your product team, and also with Writers and Editors on the League Studio Narrative team
- Help to drive improvements to Riot Games’ global multi-language publishing processes (including sensitivity consideration, and direct translation support)
- Advocate for narrative craft consistency across different regional offices and languages, by communicating Writing & Editing discipline initiatives, sharing best practices, and contributing as an active community member
- Mentor other Narrative writers in creating consistent, high quality content
- Occasionally provide feedback on the ongoing development of process guidelines/documentation, and participate in Narrative craft reviews
- 5+ years of professional industry experience
- 3+ years experience in game writing, and at least one other narrative medium (e.g., audio, prose, comics, interactive stories, etc)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in Mandarin and English
- Experience delivering quality work in partnership with other creative disciplines
- Experience with creating content for translation into other languages
- Familiarity with the League of Legends intellectual property, and its current range of narrative expressions
- Experience with the creation of story and game content within existing IPs, for game product releases or in direct support of them
- Experience delivering timely, clear, and actionable Narrative craft feedback
- Experience in formal mentoring or management
As a part of the application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio of their work and perform a brief writing task.
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.