Senior Narrative Designer & Writer
14 days ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a Senior Narrative Designer & Writer to join our team and help take a respected and established IP in exciting new directions.
Are you passionate about writing stories, creating compelling characters, constructing memorable scenes, and servicing the needs of the game before all else? Do you recognize that constructing and implementing an effective narrative consists of far more than just writing a cool plot and kick-ass cutscenes? If so, this role could be for you!
- Work with multidisciplinary team members to help define and deliver on the creative vision
- Develop narrative techniques and systems that will aid in the execution of our story inside the game space
- Write story treatments, character bios, VO dialogue, cinematic scripts, casting documents, world building backstories, and other support materials as needed
- Revise and edit scripts within deadlines based on internal and external feedback
- Exceptional dialog skills are a must
- Work closely with designers to merge narrative with gameplay to deliver a consistent and robust narrative
- Manage the script and other dialogue related documentation, ensuring they are up to date, easy to access, and clear
- Understand story requirements and deliver on the essential story and gameplay goals
- Respond to feedback from creative leadership, design, audio, and production to enhance the narrative, clarify concerns, and facilitate the development process
- Understand gameplay elements and assess how they could affect the development of the story
- Present collaborative solutions for adjustments as conflicts arise
- 5+ years of game development experience as a writer or narrative designer
- Shipped at least two AAA game titles working either as a narrative designer or game writer
- Understand the process of both game and narrative development, including how audio, art, level design and other disciplines can affect narrative and how they can be effectively leveraged to deliver a more comprehensive and engaging story
- Knowledge of games and interactive storytelling, character development, scriptwriting, and user engagement. You must not only play video games, but understand them as a dramatic form
- Self direction and a proven ability to thrive in a highly dynamic and technical environment
- Strong inter-disciplinary & collaboration skills, including verbal and written skills
- Excellent creative writing abilities
- Be a passionate storyteller with a strong interest in advancing the quality of game narratives
- Writing samples, as requested, that exemplify a skill level and proficiency of craft that specifically speaks to the position under consideration
- Experience with shipping a title on multiple platforms and input devices
- Experience playing modern Real Time Strategy Games
- Interest in single-player and co-op gaming.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.