Uken Games is looking for an experienced Senior Narrative Designer for our flagship product, Ava’s Manor. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to help drive the narrative process from initial concept to final product. This role reports to the Director of Game Design and will lead an experienced writing team, working alongside Product Managers, Designers, Artists and Engineers for this title.
As a Ukenite, you’ll be working on meaningful things like:
- Owning the narrative for all game content, from structuring full seasons of content, drafting and reviewing scripts and scenes, executing on the intended narrative vision for the product, and collaborating in reviews of the script with key stakeholders
- Developing captivating characters and backstories, maintaining authenticity for each character within the story from season to season
- Collaboratively engaging with art, design, audio, product and engineering teams to bring the narrative to life by developing detailed scene cues, and getting creative when reaching technical limitations to avoid sacrificing narrative delivery
- Supporting the implementation of the dialogue script, working alongside teams to review the implemented story content, and being relentless about quality and attention to detail when it comes to narrative delivery in-game
- Managing the narrative tools and pipeline for the project, being the main point of contact for the team in this regard
- Leading a team of narrative designers, supporting their career development, performance management and offering mentorship
Your background should include:
- 5+ years of game writing experience with at least 2-3 shipped game titles
- Passion for storytelling in a broad range of genres including mystery, romance, and comedy
- Vast knowledge of F2P mobile game design pipelines and current market trends
- A genuine interest and passion for a broad variety of narrative genres in any medium
- Strong and developed background in interactive storytelling, character development, scriptwriting, and user engagement
- A passion for creatively advancing the story medium in mobile games
- Strong understanding of the unique relationship between narrative and other game specialties such as art, audio, and level design and proven ability to creatively leverage them to deliver a more engaging story
- Strong inter-disciplinary & collaboration skills, including verbal and written skills
- Leadership of a team; coaching mindset and able to juggle people management as well as functional responsibilities
- Previous experience with Unity is a bonus!
*All chosen candidates will be asked to provide a written sample, demonstrating that they can meet the requirements of this role and narrative style.
We believe in a fun & meaningful work environment:
- You'll be equipped with a high-end laptop, mobile device
- Competitive salary, stock options, health and dental benefits and allowances
- You’ll work in a collaborative, coaching and mentoring culture
- Remote and in-person team building events and celebrations
- 4 Day Workweek and Work Anywhere work model!
Uken builds games that people everywhere love. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? and Jeopardy! World Tour are the top 2 trivia games, engaging millions of global players every month. In 2020, Uken released Ava’s Manor, a solitaire game where users renovate and decorate the manor while discovering mysterious clues and dabbling in a romantic love story.
We consider ourselves data-driven designers, technologists, and artists. Through collaboration, we pair the craft of design with feedback and data to deliver a pace and rhythm in each game session that immerses our audience and leaves them wanting more. We have a quirky, nerdy culture that fosters creativity, collaboration, quality ideas, and a data-driven mindset. We believe in moving quickly and improving constantly, and that mantra is reflected in the weekly updates we make to our games and internal technologies. We have an appetite for pushing technical boundaries but with a focus on practical use.
We take entertainment seriously.
Uken welcomes applications from racialized people, Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, and people from gender and sexually diverse groups who would contribute to the further diversification of our team. Uken is committed to offering reasonable accommodation to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation for any part of the selection process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com